Inkbird itc-308

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
So I've just ordered the inkbird 308 and a 1ft tube heater for my fridge to allow me to brew all year round,

Anyone got one that has any tips or things to look out for , seems fairly plug and play,

I'll do a little review of it when it's up and running, tho the proof is in the beer I guess

Mine worked brilliantly for 11 months and then broke. Dead easy to set up and allowed really effective temp control. Beer quality improved significantly as a result. Just debating whether to get myself a replacement, or what alternatives are available. It is a top product, i just hope that mine isn't reflective of the standard useful life.

I have two and both work perfectly. Be careful to calibrate it if the temp reading is out, my second one was nearly two degrees out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity and im sure I know the answer, untill I get my heater for fridge could I just plug a brew belt or pad into the heating socket and use that on its own with probe on side of bucket and belt around bucket and use ambient temp for cold as porch is about 14-16 degrees at mo

Out of curiosity and im sure I know the answer, untill I get my heater for fridge could I just plug a brew belt or pad into the heating socket and use that on its own with probe on side of bucket and belt around bucket and use ambient temp for cold as porch is about 14-16 degrees at mo

That's what I do in the garage, Brew Belt around both FVs and the ambient for cooling, works well at this time of year.

I have one on an Inkbird and one on a home built STC

That's what I do in the garage, Brew Belt around both FVs and the ambient for cooling, works well at this time of year.

I have one on an Inkbird and one on a home built STC

Brilliant, next question,

Safety aspect on putting a heatpad on top of a fridge , is it safe or shall I insulate it with a peice of wood or something

Guess that depends on where the electrical connection is and whether it gets wet from condensation or not, my freezer in the garage always seems to have a wet top.

Nothing to be lost by adding a layer between fridge top and heat pad, and maybe make sure the lead droops in such a way that any water only flows down and drips off.

Got this wired up to a heatpad and using ambient temp for cooling , can't praise this enough , so easy to set up and keeps it in the programmed temp ranges, well worth every penny, and almost impossible to brew without it

20171203_191515_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the temp of the room is quite cold, is it a good idea to wrap the FV above the heat belt in a blanket or the sort to hold the heat? Or is that a bad idea?

Is this only really useful for people who ferment in the garage or shed?

I ferment in my office as it's the coolest room in the house, the ambient temp fluctuates between 18-20c. Which I thought was a good temperature range, so I don't use a fermentation fridge or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I have the brew fridge full and need to get a second brew going (cooler ambient temps only) I use a heater tray controlled by an inkbird. I wrap the fv in a couple of thick towels and have the probe behind a piece of foam taped to the fv. The heater only cycles on and off occasionally once up to temp even in my garage.

Hi!
Great idea, @Clint
I've built a fermentation chamber out of off-cuts of timber, insulated with bubble wrap and corrugated cardboard. It's definitely a winter thing, the STC-1000 controls a tubular heater only.
If I'd known the heater tray works so well I could have saved the effort of construction - it was a 2F job!

Bigcol your box sounds great! Just checked the fg on my ale..1010 at 17 days,nice and clear and quite tasty... 2 days in the brew fridge on cold now...

Back