Flaked Barley substitute in extract dry stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitoog

Reaction score
I am trying to put together an extract dry stout for someone and not sure what to use instead of flaked barley. Carapils seems to be an option but do not want to add any caramel sweetness to a dry stout. Do you think carapils is a good sub or what else could I use?

There isn't one. I would just mash it with an equal amount of pale malt, its very easy in small amounts.

Well, I would do that, but I'm certain either that or dodgy black malt spoiled a 5 gallon batch for me....

Flaked Oats. My oatmeal stout over the years has evolved. It used to have equal quantities rolled Oats and flaked barley in the grain bill , now it is 3:1 ratio.

graysalchemy said:
Flaked Oats. My oatmeal stout over the years has evolved. It used to have equal quantities rolled Oats and flaked barley in the grain bill , now it is 3:1 ratio.
Still needs mashing though :hmm: I think I'm with Rob on this one :hat:, a Mini-mash with an equal amount of pale malt to convert it then strain off (and rinse with hot water) before adding it to the dissolved extract and bringing to the boil

True I didn't think of that you would have to mash it with pale malt, so probably wouldn't add much to it without. :thumb:

I should have remembered i am making your Oatmeal stout (adulterated with elderberries) after all today:lol: :lol:

Now did I do a mash :wha: :wha:

He is just set up for extract atm so I might just suggest about 300g of carapils, should work out ok.

Carapils is different entirely, it's designed to leave a high quantity of dextrines in the beer which add mouthfeel and sweetness...flaked barley adds mouthfeel and haze.

I would be tempted not to bother subbing if you don't want to minimash, most things would probably add undesirable qualities for you...but mini mashing really isnt very hard!

Recipe is a novice extract brewer I know who does not live local, been an AG brewer myself for a while now. I just remember a porter I made before with just crystal and choc malt, the head retention was pretty poor. Some seem to say carapils does not seem to add sweetness, might get different result for just steeping though.

you will get sweetness if you mash high - steeping you won't get much unless you use an excess. a bit of wheat malt would be better for head retention imo, but both would work if you want a boost :thumb:

Latest posts

Back