The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's very helpful. He refunded me on some saaz wrongly priced. PayPal account makes this very easy.
First time I bought was through eBay and I said I was a forum member too which he refunded 10% which is their eBay cost and and told me to order via FB or email.Great service.

Gerry

To be fair and honest I did bottle a few days early cos of upcoming time constraints but I know for certain that it would have been far clearer with one pack. But I'm also certain that there's zero advantage in using 2 packs. Another homebrew myth busted by experience.

I don't think the extra pack would have made any difference to the clarity, as I don't think you end up with significantly more yeast after fermentation.
Was it a particularly high OG beer? As you wouldn't need 2 packs for a beer below 1.050.
I wouldn't call it a homebrew myth - more like accepted practise - Big beers need bigger pitching rates for best results.

I don't think the extra pack would have made any difference to the clarity, as I don't think you end up with significantly more yeast after fermentation.
Was it a particularly high OG beer? As you wouldn't need 2 packs for a beer below 1.050.
I wouldn't call it a homebrew myth - more like accepted practise - Big beers need bigger pitching rates for best results.

The 'house' bitter - OG1045, FG 1010. Only the extra yeast could have caused the difference but I'm not moaning, just know for sure not to do it again.

The 'house' bitter - OG1045, FG 1010. Only the extra yeast could have caused the difference but I'm not moaning, just know for sure not to do it again.

I've put this link on another thread where the 1pack/2pack debate came up, but you might find it interesting:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/11/07/yeast-pitch-rates-explained/

A single 11g pack of notty would only give you a pitch rate of around 0.2 million cells/ml/degree plato in 23L with an OG of 1.045

I've put this link on another thread where the 1pack/2pack debate came up, but you might find it interesting:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/11/07/yeast-pitch-rates-explained/

A single 11g pack of notty would only give you a pitch rate of around 0.2 million cells/ml/degree plato in 23L with an OG of 1.045

Interesting - thanks. I'm not trying to be awkward but my one and only venture into using 2 packs has yielded only negatives and no positives. However, I haven't sampled the beer yet (which is starbright less than a week after bottling and being as cloudy as hell at the time) so watch this space!

US pale ale yeast. Citra pale ale OG 1052 FG 1006 6ABV Attenuation 88%. Quite impressed by that. Sample tastes fantastic. I reused the yeast from a NEIPA which contained some hop residue but its fine. Going to try reusing the yeast on the next batch to see if i get the same attenuation. If it does i might try and pitch a load to ferment a Lager at 14c.

CML Pale Ale yeast Cascade SMaSH OG 1.049 FG 1.010.Tastes divine transferred to secondary and still to get another 50g dry
f4edbb5ff985e6006b22eb3eb795d05a.jpg
hops....

Oops major boo-boo as this is liberty bell M36 and should be in another post.Apologies folks.[emoji50]
Gerry

Looks like CML are testing a bottom fermenter according to their fb page. Let's hope they release it soon

got an OSH clone going now but used teh real ale yeast.. annoyingly though my ice bottles were not frozen so first 24 hours its been going at 24 degreess.. really hope its not done too much damage.. trying to get it down now

I'm going to put forward an unpopular opinion here - I don't think the American Ale yeast is a patch on US-05. Admittedly my temperature control hasn't been great for the brews I've used it in but each of them has had the same slightly odd, almost syrupy flavour to a greater or lesser extent. It fades with time but I've not been happy with any of them. I'm going back to Old Faithful from my next brew and the wife is using the remaining sachets for baking.

I think @BeerIsGod fermented with it at 24C and came out fine

Thanks I see you also did a warmer one and it was okay after some conditioning

I hope to get teh temp down to 22 and lower.. its only 24 since pitching anyway.

My problem has been I have been poor at planning the water bottles they are melting so fast because I haven;t frozen them properly so I am switching them constantly as they are defrosting too quick and this yeast seems pretty lively so I am constantly fighting it

I have now got loads of bottles in the freezer including a 5L demi jon one , that'll do it!!:lol:

nearly 48 hours in and its just about almost stopped bubbling slowed right down, perhaps virtue It was warmer than desireable (my fault) but is this normal for this yeast ?

its at 19 now.. a day too late but oh well..

nearly 48 hours in and its just about almost stopped bubbling slowed right down, perhaps virtue It was warmer than desireable (my fault) but is this normal for this yeast ?

its at 19 now.. a day too late but oh well..

I have found it ferments out in around 48 hours, an extra day for a 10% ABV. I had this yeast up to 26c recently and found no off flavours. Would rather ferment at 18c though.

I have found it ferments out in around 48 hours, an extra day for a 10% ABV. I had this yeast up to 26c recently and found no off flavours. Would rather ferment at 18c though.

Good to hear, I have cocked up my frozen bottles so my temp control was not great so 22-24 it was..

48 hours though.. its crazy quick.. never had one go that fast though..

I've never seen any yeast as fast as the Real Ale one. Instead of individual 'plops' thru' the airlock it's a constant 'bleeuurgh'. Blink and you'll miss it. Looks like Old Faithful geyser going off on one. Mind you, that was during the recent hot spell. Beer still turned out alright! Only just venturing into temp control . Can't wait to see the difference that makes.

Thanks I see you also did a warmer one and it was okay after some conditioning

I hope to get teh temp down to 22 and lower.. its only 24 since pitching anyway.

My problem has been I have been poor at planning the water bottles they are melting so fast because I haven;t frozen them properly so I am switching them constantly as they are defrosting too quick and this yeast seems pretty lively so I am constantly fighting it

I have now got loads of bottles in the freezer including a 5L demi jon one , that'll do it!!:lol:

You'll have to get a seperate freezer for your water bottles :-?

Back