Help buying a Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this, but the only thing I've ever bought for myself at these sort of prices was a guitar when I was young, free and single. Doesn't feel right :?

A lot of hobbies are just a net cost, but at least with brewing there is some saving on the cost of beer you don't have to buy. Especially when you get a taste for decent beer and it takes expensive craft beers to hit the spot. I used to think Ghost Ship was a great beer, now it tastes a like something and nothing really :(

The Grainfather is good for consistency of brews, if you make something you really like, as long as you have taken decent notes, you can recreate the same beer pretty much identical.

It is a few quid but I think bang for buck it is still not an expensive hobby even with the cost of the Grainfather taken into account.

You'll not regret it, I had one for a month and loved it. Not yet worked out how to sneak one into the house full time though!

Ok well I've done it, you bunch of barstewards have a lot to answer for :lol:

Steve i use percarbonate for cleaning mine and I'l probably be ordering more in a few months time, there is a place in Antrim (Mistral) that sells it cheaper in bulk, i would be up for splitting a bulk buy of it if it's something you want, there current price is 5x5kg for £58. PM me if interested.

Oh and I meant to say I got it from the Home Brew Company and the discount code worked (worked out as £641 with a free mash kit and steriliser). I'm pretty sure it's the one that was removed, I used it in the past and it's the same one that @Norfolk79 used. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it here, maybe one of the mods could clarify @Chippy_Tea

Strange someone said it wasn't working, can you PM me the code and I will add it to the thread again in the sponsor forum.

I don't think that Imake are distributing the old box anymore, afaik all grainfathers come with the connect box now. some deals include a free spage heater ( �£750 ) and some don't (�£650 ) so its not really free is it !!!
I got mine from geterbrewed with free sparge heater as I needed one anyway, also got the hop spider, grain coat and some cleaner. They also had an offer on which included a free mash kit and I was able to use the forum discount code.

I suppose that it would be possible to heat water repeatedly in a kettle, drop it into the FV the wort is going to end up in and use a thermometer and a jug of cold water to get the same result?

Obviously, a nice, shiny and fairly expensive container will add a unique and valuable taste to the end product...

Even SWMBO will see through "needing a sparge heater"

I suppose that it would be possible to heat water repeatedly in a kettle, drop it into the FV the wort is going to end up in and use a thermometer and a jug of cold water to get the same result?

Obviously, a nice, shiny and fairly expensive container will add a unique and valuable taste to the end product...

Even SWMBO will see through "needing a sparge heater"

I did that the first time I brewed. Needless to say I purchased a sparge water heater.

You could always get SWMBO to do this, that would convince her one is needed! Xx

Just been looking at these today. Beerhawk have them for £675 and if you sign up to their email list you get a code for 10% off (tested this and it works). Just need to persuade the wife to let me spend some of my final dividend payment from the business on it now....

Just been looking at these today. Beerhawk have them for �£675 and if you sign up to their email list you get a code for 10% off (tested this and it works). Just need to persuade the wife to let me spend some of my final dividend payment from the business on it now....

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission...just saying...

Just been looking at these today. Beerhawk have them for �£675 and if you sign up to their email list you get a code for 10% off (tested this and it works). Just need to persuade the wife to let me spend some of my final dividend payment from the business on it now....

That's probably the best price I've seen, good spot.
Still haven't got mine, I got an email last Sat from HBC saying they only had one left and there was a dent in the side of it but they were due a new shipment midweek. Not heard anything since. Frustrating.

Still haven't got mine, I got an email last Sat from HBC saying they only had one left and there was a dent in the side of it but they were due a new shipment midweek. Not heard anything since. Frustrating.

At least they didn't send it to you and hope you didn't notice.

That's interesting Steve I had exactly the same comment from malt miller at first, I do wonder with the value of these things if most places even hold stock to be honest.

Back