Proper Job

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pint of proper job for the first time not a month ago...

Cracking beer. The end.

I'm thinking about it, although not had a cask Proper Job for about 2 years...( thought the bottled version was nowhere near as nice )

Either way, I like the idea that for sending one bottle I should get some feedback on the beer even if I am nowhere close to the taste.. :hmm:

And at the end of the day, it's cascade and willamette - the other 39.5 litres will go down a treat :thumb:

I'm doing this in a months time. I have got the hops ready to go, just doing a stout first. I'm going to add some wheat malt to mine though so I get a decent head on it. I spent a holiday in somerset staying in a cottage next to a pub selling it. A definite favourite of mine now.

:D Anyone do this? If I can get the hops i`ll be brewing one this weekend - if it stops raining !! :pray:

I am going to do an extract version once I have an empty FV :party:

A pub down the road has it on tap and I can't stay away :drunk:

I would be going to the pub and asking for the dregs out of a barrel. All that lovely yeast.

Just realised I am a packet of willamette short.

What yeast would you use? I`ve done a clone with us-05 which was a good match i`d say? Any other ideas?

I might have a go at this. I've not entered a competition before but fancy a laugh. At the risk of sounding stupid I have a question. If you have to send off a bottle by the 31st of May, wont the beer taste a bit young?

James

rickthebrew said:
What yeast would you use? I`ve done a clone with us-05 which was a good match i`d say? Any other ideas?

Isn't Proper Job bottle conditioned :whistle: :whistle:

I have got your recipie rick you gave it me last year but I am sure the version I have got has all the last additions as just Willamete were as that website states

Brewed with two copper additions of Willamette and Chinook then finished with a blend of Willamette, Chinook and Cascade using 100% pale malt.

:hmm:

Definitely a decent pint, I am brewing it a week on thursday.

I've seen various recipes for this that all move the hops around ( but the same 3 luckily )

Brewed mine on Friday, will dry hop in the FV later this week :thumb:

:whistle: :whistle:
james1988 said:
I might have a go at this. I've not entered a competition before but fancy a laugh. At the risk of sounding stupid I have a question. If you have to send off a bottle by the 31st of May, wont the beer taste a bit young?

James

I did mean to have this done a few weeks ago :P But brewday sunday and in the bottle by around 12th May and then posted a week or so later for the deadline and I believe tastings aren`t untill beginning of July? So should be fine - some of my brews don`t see four weeks let alone six :lol:

Graysalchemy - I`ve brewed a few proper jobs (half job more like :lol: )and tweaked the hops around a bit on each one - I`m gonna go for chinook and williamette full 90 mins and various late hopping between ten and zero mins of cascade and williamette and a little chinook maybe and then dry hop with just cascade - Anything with cascade in is a winner in my book!!

Could go for a yeast reclaim I suppose :whistle: Whatever happens its goinna be a lovely brew :thumb:

rickthebrew said:
Graysalchemy - I`ve brewed a few proper jobs (half job more like )and tweaked the hops around a bit on each one - I`m gonna go for chinook and williamette full 90 mins and various late hopping between ten and zero mins of cascade and williamette and a little chinook maybe and then dry hop with just cascade - Anything with cascade in is a winner in my book!!

Could you post up your hopping schedule?

:pray: :pray:

Yeah of course I will - hops should be here wed or thurs so when I get them I will post the recipe on this thread (not sure what the exact alpha acid levels will be) as recipe isn`t quite devised!!
Although the grainbill is given as 100% pale malt I`ll be adding around 5% munich malt and maybe 5% caramalt :D

I'm going with a wheat malt addition for head retention. - look forward to sseing you hopping schedule.

This is what I am planning if I ever find the time to brew it :roll:

Maris Otter 97%
Cara pils 3%

90min boil
Chinook FWH 14 IBU
Willamette FWH 10 IBU
Cascade 10mins 4 IBU
Chinook 10mins 7 IBU
Willamette 10mins 4 IBU
Cascade 5mins 2 IBU
Chinook 5mins 4 IBU
Willamette 5mins 2 IBU
Cascade 15g 20mins steep
Willamette 15g 20mins steep
Dry hop with Cascade & Willamette

US-05 yeast

I might give this a shot. I had a pint of Proper Job at the brewery last and immediately put it on my "to do" list.

I have a brew slot next week so I should have time to ferment, bottle condition and post before the deadline. :cool:

Managed to brew this today, 23L at 1054 :D

2012-02-04123731-1.jpg

Still not had a chance to brew this :?
Rain stopped play last week so fingers crossed tommorrow stays dry ish or it'll be brewing under a brolly in the garden !! Couldn't find any bottles of proper job anywhere so ive a us05 starter on the go - going for 46litres hoping to hit around 1046 and will mash at 68degrees so hope the yeast will stop around 1008 - 10 ish giving me approx 4.8%

Ok grain and hops!!

8kg pale malt
400g caramalt
400g Munich

32g chinook and 30g williamette - 90mins
40g cascade and 50g williamette - 10mins
40g cascade and 30g williamette - 5mins
40g cascade - 1min

30g cascade - 30 min steep at 80degrees c

Then dry hop each 23l FV with 25g cascade and 25g williamette

Around 50ibu - can't wait ! Sorry didn't post before but my laptop has died and the forum is painful on the iPhone !!

Latest posts

Back