Brew Like a Monk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManseMasher

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone got this by Stan Hieronymus? I really like Belgian ales, and one day I want to have a go at a lambic-style, just to see if I can get wild yeast fermentation....

I've read about the wild yeast in lambic in my searches for using my unmalted wheat,
sparked my interest and then I watched a video Tony linked me to and when I first saw your thread title I thought it was gonna be that one, the monastery farm series where they used wild yeast for their beer.
Maybe one day I'll have a go too, I look forward to seeing your review.

I've got this book, it's one of my favourites. If you're serious about getting to grips with brewing Belgian styles, whether it's Trappist style or blondes like Leffe you should get this.
Lots of info on fermentation and recipe design.
Also lots of recipes from lots of sources including Chimay etc...

I've read this cover to cover several times so thought I'd post a review.

I'd say it's the best book to get an overall view of Belgian beers and not just the Trappist beers it focuses on. It's a good one to start with if you want to get into brewing Belgian beers but have only previously done other styles. It's an engaging read that covers the principles and history behind the brews and how US brewers have made similar beers.

You don't get a lot in the way of recipes but you get a lot of helpful information about what's in the Trappist beers and how they make them. Information for some of them is limited but you get a few mash schedules, fermentation temperatures, malt bills, details of hops used and things like that. The book also looks at some non-trappist beers and breweries like Duvel, Caracole, Bink, DeKoninck and many more.

One thing I really liked was the table of different yeast strains from Wyeast and White Labs showing what flavours you can expect at different temperatures.

I've come back to this book again and again and I still find something new every time I look at it. Highly recommended.

Brew Like A Monk is a great book, but doesn't touch on Lambic. There is a Wild Brews book by Jeff Sparrow in the same series, although I've not read it. American Sours by Michael Tonsmeire is normally the go to book on starting brewing wild fermented beers.

Back