How to culture up yeast from bottle conditioned beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just put the dregs of two Sierra Nevada pale ale bottles into a starter of 1.040. 900ml including the dregs. This is on a stir plate mind, but as I mentioned it previously in this thread....

This is what I have SN after 1 week (in a 2L bottle)

I am pretty pleased with this yeild.. I did the first two steps (second one slightly larger) and then went into a 500ml at 1040.. I could be wrong and that could be pretty **** as I haven't done it before but it looks decent to me..

I think from here with a crash, decant I could go stright into a large 2L starter (which means I could possibly brew it this weekend )

DSC_0480.JPG

I've just put the dregs of two Sierra Nevada pale ale bottles into a starter of 1.040. 900ml including the dregs. This is on a stir plate mind, but as I mentioned it previously in this thread....

Isn't the Sierra Nevada yeast just basically US05?

Are you just being a frugal as possible :thumb:

I wasn't sure on that one, but Brum says Sierra Nevada in his post.

Btw not all chico strains are created equal. From what I've read US-05 can give a peachy flavour at the top and bottom ends of it's temp range, whereas wlp001/1056 doesn't. I've just bought some WLP001 to use for pseudo lagers/warm weather brewing

Ill be interested to see how he gets on, Brum has went straight in with a 1040 gravity starter with 2 bottle dregs..

Often wondered whether its worth hravesting US05 krausen as it normally hangs around for a bit and is a pretty universal strain so can get used a fair bit.. might seem a bit tight that but at £2.50 a throw it might be worth it and sit it under some wort for a while..

Btw not all chico strains are created equal. From what I've read US-05 can give a peachy flavour at the top and bottom ends of it's temp range, whereas wlp001/1056 doesn't. I've just bought some WLP001 to use for pseudo lagers/warm weather brewing

Which actually ties in to what I posted below, given how often and universal it is.. I have wondered about having a bank of it on the go .. I know its cheapish for a sachet but why not..?

Yes I'm on about Sierra Nevada as at the start of the thread that's what I thought was going on.

Whilst SO5 is cheap, this is a mere exercise is proving the process and method. Just for sh*ts and giggles really.

But I'm cheating as I have a stir plate.

Is that what you call it :lol:

I want to have a go at culturing up a yeast. Maybe thats a good one to start with, as I know exactly what its like. Also, I'm trying to build up a collection of those stubby American 355ml bottles. I wish I could find somewhere that sold them.

But I'm cheating as I have a stir plate.

Not cheating, I dont but I have swirled and shook mine a lot.. and I think looking at my pictures after a week my yield is pretty good.

I was also a sad git and took the small 500ml bottle to work so I could keep it agitated :oops:

I will be doing butty bach next

How's your yeast culturing coming along Cov?

Really well, the picture IU put up I have that in the fridge (well technically I took it out this morning) I am going to pitch it in a 2Liter when I get home this afternoon.. Its grown and floculated well I think..

Really pleased with it so far. Hoping to use it this Sunday.. I will crop it too.. I was going to over grow but not sure if I should with the amount I have..

I think your really going like this strain. As discussed in the other yeast thread, dried is great but I've yet to come across a dried English strain that's as good as any liquid one. MJ Dark Ale was good (pretty similar to Windsor from what I've read) but just wasn't as good as the liquid English strains I've tried

I think your really going like this strain. As discussed in the other yeast thread, dried is great but I've yet to come across a dried English strain that's as good as any liquid one. MJ Dark Ale was good (pretty similar to Windsor from what I've read) but just wasn't as good as the liquid English strains I've tried

Well its in a 2L starter now and this is going to sound silly but after smelling and sipping the starter wort it smells and tastes like real proper british beer

Latest posts

Back