The Hods Brew Shed Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would document the planned 4 week build of my new brew shed/man cave/summer house.

First stage today was removing the years of **** that’s been stored in the shed since we moved in 6 years ago. The shed is dying so needs to be completely demolished so I can start building a new timber framed building with a tiled roof, floor with vapour barrier and wall insulation.

I’m going to build a 3 brick plinth on the concrete base with a DPC to make sure it lasts the test of time.

Plan is to have mains electricity and a connection for mains water and a soak away waste. With a dedicated worktop and sink area at the back for my BM and brew fridge(s).

Ordered all of the materials, French doors, windows and additional door earlier in the week. View attachment IMG_3438.jpgView attachment IMG_3439.jpgView attachment IMG_3441.jpgView attachment IMG_3440.jpgView attachment IMG_3437.jpgView attachment IMG_3434.jpgView attachment IMG_3432.jpg

Day 1 complete, day 2 is to remove the roof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I thought I would document the planned 4 week build of my new brew shed/man cave/summer house.

First stage today was removing the years of **** that’s been stored in the shed since we moved in 6 years ago. The shed is dying so needs to be completely demolished so I can start building a new timber framed building with a tiled roof, floor with vapour barrier and wall insulation.

I’m going to build a 3 brick plinth on the concrete base with a DPC to make sure it lasts the test of time.

Plan is to have mains electricity and a connection for mains water and a soak away waste. With a dedicated worktop and sink area at the back for my BM and brew fridge(s).

Ordered all of the materials, French doors, windows and additional door earlier in the week. View attachment 10351View attachment 10352View attachment 10353View attachment 10354View attachment 10355View attachment 10356View attachment 10357

Day 1 complete, day 2 is to remove the roof.

Coudnt lend me a tenner could you ? 😂

What size are you aiming for? This is my plan for next year unless swmbo convinces me to move

It’s 4.5meters x 4.5meters.

I think I might end up sectioning about 1.5 off and putting a Separate door in so I still have some “shed” space as well as the brew shed part which will have French doors.

That's some space and project budget!! I look forward to follow this thread! What do you see as the biggest obstacle? Water ? Electric? Waste? What do you have planned as the steam extraction?

That's some space and project budget!! I look forward to follow this thread! What do you see as the biggest obstacle? Water ? Electric? Waste? What do you have planned as the steam extraction?

Seriously the materials budget for all of this is best part of £5.5k at the moment. I expect that to rise.

The electrics should be fine. I’m going to run a 32amp spur from the house DB. (I’m an electrician) with a consumer unit in the shed for the sockets and lights.

Water supply will be a temporary “plug in” from a hose from the house type affair. I think I should be able to route hot water from chilling into the water butt and any waste I’m going to build a little soak away.

The biggest challenge will be doing this along side a full time job and 2 kids.

The biggest challenge will be doing this along side a full time job and 2 kids.

I'm feeling your pain - about 18 months into decorating the hall.
The walls need repainting before I've finished glossing the woodwork.:lol:

But good luck with the build. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and how it turns out. Have you alreay decided on the layout inside?

I'm feeling your pain - about 18 months into decorating the hall.
The walls need repainting before I've finished glossing the woodwork.:lol:

But good luck with the build. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and how it turns out. Have you alreay decided on the layout inside?

I’m thinking the layout is going to be something like this.

View attachment IMG_1312.jpg

Depends how much SWMBO wants to get involved in the layout.

I was thinking a 3x4m build using the base I have my greenhouse on. I already have electric down there but that may need upgrading.

My current thoughts are purely using it as a pub shed and leaving my brewing equipment in the garage.

It will be a timber build. Not sure on cost but I think I can do it for a grand which will no doubt be two when I price up insulation, log burner etc

I was thinking a 3x4m build using the base I have my greenhouse on. I already have electric down there but that may need upgrading.

My current thoughts are purely using it as a pub shed and leaving my brewing equipment in the garage.

It will be a timber build. Not sure on cost but I think I can do it for a grand which will no doubt be two when I price up insulation, log burner etc

Don’t underestimate the costs of decent quality timber and insulation is all I can say.

I’m kinda hoping that my place will also double as a pub shed too. I’ve got good Wi-fi there so no reason why one of my Sonos speakers and a tv with an online stream box won’t make it out there too [emoji1303]

Don’t underestimate the costs of decent quality timber and insulation is all I can say.

I’m kinda hoping that my place will also double as a pub shed too. I’ve got good Wi-fi there so no reason why one of my Sonos speakers and a tv with an online stream box won’t make it out there too [emoji1303]

I have a good timber merchant locally that grows its on timber and is much cheaper and better quality than the major building merchants.

Hi have a few ideas about my garage as well, I will be following this post closely :).

I want to completely gut it, but I fear there is a lot more to do before any actual building takes place. It's only a single brick building which sustained massive amounts of water damage about 3 years ago due to a really ****ty roof, which was replaced a few weeks later.

It has electric (Door end of the garage which was fine) and currently has a fridge freezer and my barrel fridge in.

I best start saving :D

I’m thinking the layout is going to be something like this.

View attachment 10382

Depends how much SWMBO wants to get involved in the layout.

Hoddy,

Not sure how your going to do the reduced height worktop, but have a look at Belfast sink units from "howdens" or the like. might work out ideal and still give a storage cupboard below.

http://advice.diy-kitchens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2-495mm-belfast-sink-unit.jpg

Layout looks good though. I have just got to clear a corner of our garage before I get started on the brew den, but like everyone else it gets overtaken by "other" priorities.

Hoddy,

Not sure how your going to do the reduced height worktop, but have a look at Belfast sink units from "howdens" or the like. might work out ideal and still give a storage cupboard below.

http://advice.diy-kitchens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2-495mm-belfast-sink-unit.jpg

Layout looks good though. I have just got to clear a corner of our garage before I get started on the brew den, but like everyone else it gets overtaken by "other" priorities.

Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of. Thanks [emoji1303]

I might need to do a quick comparison of building the frame myself vs getting something off the shelf like that.

That is the only thing with a BM the fact that you need to be able to gravity drain the unit into your fermenter. And have a sensible height for sparging means you need something about chair height.

Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of. Thanks [emoji1303]

I might need to do a quick comparison of building the frame myself vs getting something off the shelf like that.

That is the only thing with a BM the fact that you need to be able to gravity drain the unit into your fermenter. And have a sensible height for sparging means you need something about chair height.

If you know any local builders, you might be able to get some old kitchen carcases if the are doing kitchen fits. just a case of getting doors if the one on aren't your taste. either that or check out the DIY shops wickes etc who do end of line stuff on sale every now and again.

I have tried to make myself before and it never seems to "fit" properly, doors are always a pain to get right and look like a decent job when not on a purpose made unit carcase.

good luck what ever way you go:thumb:

Latest posts

Back