Ups got it wrong, wonder what will happen?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmark

Regular.
Reaction score
Not living at home, so today it was mad dash home to start a beer off for the new year. Single can kit so it was just pour sugar and can into fermenter top up to 40 pints bang it into freezer with an 8 watt bulb to heat if required.

In the main the brews end up at around 18 deg C but little low or little high no problem the STC-1000 will either switch on bulb or run freezer and temperature is soon corrected.

However as I carried the brew to garage I swirled it about and the temperature probe was recording 10.5 deg C, no time to play with different heaters I had to just shut the freezer door and leave.

I reckon on 30 hours to warm up, before the yeast starts to work, so not a clue if the yeast will work before any wild yeasts take over, it was after all just tap water.

Worry ye not!

It's almost a certainty that the brewing yeast will just lie dormant until such time as the temperature rises to what it likes best.

Also, at this time of the year, wild yeasts floating around in the air are as rare as nude swimmers in the sea. :thumb:

Will probably be fine.

Wild yeasts are actually present in the air all year round, and Belgian Lambic brewers only brew in the winter for a better balance of yeast and bacteria, as airborne bacteria are lower in winter.

https://www.lambic.info/Brewing_Lambic

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Sadfield
You're like a dog with a bone.
Leave it.
Move on ffs.
There are better ways of saying what you want to say without making it personal
He says making it personal ;-)

Damn right I'm like a dog with a bone. And I'll move on to the next erroneous statement, presented as fact, without any evidence to qualify it. Otherwise it's just the blind leading the blind. Isn't the whole point of a forum to share information? Aren't we duty-bound to ensure that information we give is correct?

I think the point being made is that your second paragraph could do without it's first sentence. That way it clears up misinformation without being insulting.

Has it occurred to you that Dutto stated it as a fact because he genuinely believed it to be true?

Tbh your making the forum sound quite serious?
People have different opinions, some right, some wrong.
Don’t want to put anyone off this forum
"A*fact*is a statement that can be proven true or false. An*opinion*is an expression of a person's feelings that cannot be proven."

I really don't have a problem with opinions, but if your presenting things as fact, please make sure it's correct and you can back it up before posting.

Now, if we are all entitled to have opinions, either rightly or wrongly, then my original post is valid, whether personal or not.

I take quality of information seriously, otherwise there is little point in a forum. And I think it's pretty healthy to have a debate about it.

Chill out mate and have a beer
Perfectly chilled, and will be having a beer later. I will still be happy to discuss the merits of telling each other facts that are patently wrong. (b)

I agree, facts are facts, correct is correct, incorrect is incorrect, and let's call a spade a spade.

But I'm sure Dutto isn't deliberately leading people astray; he said what he genuinely thought to be the case in an effort to be reassuring. There are better ways to point out that he's wrong in this case than the one you chose. I think that's the point people are trying to make- I don't think anyone believes that you should not correct wrong information.

Exactly as Thumper has just said - it's not what was said, it's the way it was said that people are taking issue with. It made it sound like Sadfield and Dutto are mortal enemies.

Not from my perspective. Just an observation of a recurring situation.

I really don't have a problem with opinions, but if your presenting things as fact, please make sure it's correct and you can back it up before posting.

Grammar: The difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you're ****. That's a fact. Crikey, bet the OP wishes he hadn't bothered asking for advice, what with the trouble it's caused!

Grammar: The difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you're ****. That's a fact. Crikey, bet the OP wishes he hadn't bothered asking for advice, what with the trouble it's caused!
Ha. Quite correct Gunge. I'll endeavour to grammar check in future.

Ha. Quite correct Gunge. I'll endeavour to grammar check in future.

No offence whatsoever intended - just pointing out that we all make mistakes without realising it, even after the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back