Ginger beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimw86

Reaction score
Hey has anyone got a good ginger beer recipe? I'm a big fan of hollows as I find it nice and smooth. There's no harsh or acidic flavours in there.

Any help much appreciated.

hi ,here is a recipe ive copied from some one here and done , was drinking it last night with the mrs and was very very ****** lol watch out its a good un mine is 7.2%

Ginger beer viewtopic.php?t=5982

Fiery Ginger Beer 5 gallons

1kg Fresh grated ginger
1tsp Cream of tartar
2 lemons
2 limes
2.5kg Sugar
2tsp Yeast nutrient
1 sachet champagne yeast Use S-04 yeast. That's the only one that worked for me

Really quick and easy (and cheap) to do - ginger was donated so very cheap

First i grated the ginger into a large pan

Then added the sliced and squeezed lemons and limes, cream of tartar - topped up with boiling water and simmered for 30mins (lovely smell )

Next i dissolved all the sugar in the ginger liquor and then put everything into the FV and topped up with cold water

The temp adjusted OG was 1045

Dry pitched the yeast......done

Dependant on what it ferments out to it should be between 6 and 8% ferment at 18C should see you right! But 16 to 20 ok too

Cheers matey. A job for this week then. Cream of tartar though? Weird.

not sauce , not the stuff for scampi lol this stuff you'll find next to the baking soda etc in same size little jar :thumb:

I read it before to add cream of tartar, but what does it actually do with the brew?

think i'd agree with robwalker , have done this and its a great drink if you like that sort of thing but no head on at all , bit of a tonic taste to it but its early days really, only around 3 weeks old for me

I bottled a very similar recipe a few weeks back. half a dozen bottles and my legs have a mind of their own! :mrgreen:

What is cream of tartar? Is that the dried stuff used to make horseradish? Ginger Beer (non alcoholic) is a firm summer favourite of mine and this sounds as awesome as a Cyclops riding a unicorn that shoots laserbeams from its ass.

cream of tarta, think of it as an anti acid that takes some of the tart bite out of bitter ginger it also makes the brew go opaque like old fashions ginger beer / crabbis is.

and yes it does add a certain "mouth feel" to it by this people means it makes the drink more syrupy and is well worth adding!

No ginger beer is complete without this, or in my opion a sprinkle of cayanne peper!

what would you use for a fiery ginger beer?
cayenne as secind2none stated?
mixed spice?

would you use actual spices and peppers or the schwartz dried spices?

here is the post ive copied and brewed i used 3 kg made 7% , great stuff
Fiery Ginger Beer 5 gallons also another recipe at bottom of page

1kg Fresh grated ginger
1tsp Cream of tartar
2 lemons
2 limes
2.5kg Sugar
2tsp Yeast nutrient

Then added the sliced and squeezed lemons and limes, cream of tartar - topped up with boiling water and simmered for 30mins (lovely smell )

Next i dissolved all the sugar in the ginger liquor and then put everything into the FV and topped up with cold water

Dryed Cayanne pepper works nicely coz it give the GB a kick rather than a burn
I known people get excited and thrown whole chillies in but that has always been to much
for me. The thing with ginger beer is that you have to brew load of little batches so you can play around with the ingredients and when after a few small batches you find soemthing good make loads of it!

By far the best ginger beer I have ever made was was a ginger beer plant using wine yeast! its reall worth feeding it ever day with a tsp of ginger and a tsp of sugar every say for a week!

ohh and a secret from Jamaica to make firey ginger beer....
the ginger is grated and then soaked in dark rum over night :D

Its well worth a little research! :cheers:

wat is dry pitching the yeast? yes a totaly newby qusetion

answered this my self by searching google just means adding the yeast by the look of it lol

as this has been dug up, thought I'd butt in...has anybody used mint in a ginger beer? Somebody posted a pic on instagram earlier and it looked delicious!

RobWalker said:
as this has been dug up, thought I'd butt in...has anybody used mint in a ginger beer? Somebody posted a pic on instagram earlier and it looked delicious!

Slurp :thumb:

Sounds................

.......MINT :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

pittsy said:
hi ,here is a recipe ive copied from some one here and done , was drinking it last night with the mrs and was very very ****** lol watch out its a good un mine is 7.2%

Ginger beer viewtopic.php?t=5982

Fiery Ginger Beer 5 gallons

1kg Fresh grated ginger
1tsp Cream of tartar
2 lemons
2 limes
2.5kg Sugar
2tsp Yeast nutrient

Dependant on what it ferments out to it should be between 6 and 8% ferment at 18C should see you right! But 16 to 20 ok too

Gonna have a go at this, would you strain out the ginger/lemon etc before putting in FV or chuck the lot in??

Latest posts

Back