Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
So here is the plan, based on the recipe from the Coopers website I am going to make one of these at the weekend

1.7kg Coopers Stout
1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1.7kg Coopers Lager
1kg Coopers Dextrose (or table sugar)

https://uk.diybeer.com/recipes/index/view/id/49/

However, I dont have the kits as per this but going to use the following

1.5kg Wilko Velvet Stout,
1.5kg Youngs harvest lager
1 kg Finlandia tradiational Kit ( bought on a whim in a sale, first one I brewed and was ok, but nothing great and wouldn't do again)
1KG brew enhancer
700gr golden syrup

Given my kits are smaller than the coopers i am using brew enhancer to up the malt a bit and the golden syrup instead of sugar.

its all going in a 40l FV that will be sat in the bath for a the first week cause I ain't wanting to be cleaning carpets etc:doh:

Question is will the yeast from all these kits be able to handle the higher level of alcohol? I do have some more kit yeast packets kicking around from other kits( coopers and youngs). The web site link to coopers recipe shows they only use the kit yeast so hoping this will be fine.

Now need to find some 330ml bottle to fill with it in a 3-4 weeks.:grin:

I brewed this myself and had a problem of a stuck fermentation
I managed to kick start it again but after a chat on here and my lhbs I would advise using a different yeast
Check my thread on stuck imperial stout not to far down in kit brewing
Think mangrove jacks was recommended on here
Sitting in bath v good idea as my krausen was about 10 in high after 36 hrs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you search back through my posts you'll find my experience of doing this. If you can't be @rsed trawling back, it came out really well in spite of my overcarbing it. It needs conditioning for a LONG time before it hits its best though - 18 months til it was at its prime in my case.

She's in the fv and going, decided to change the syrup for a bag of sugar. Used 5 packets of kit yeast from the kits and two from spare coopers kits.

How the heck do you get the pictures the right way up?

Anyway looks like the go will be 1.096, if this get down to 1.024 that's going to be 9.45%.

Like I said, best get looking for some 330ml bottles.

The fv will be staying in the shower until it dies back a bit, expecting this to go big!

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

When I made an Imperial stout, I had the same idea about smaller 330ml bottles. I never got enough so did half in 330, rest in 500ml. In retrospect, a waste of time with the 330s, takes ages to bottle, and one 500 felt nice at the end of an evening, but I'd always end up drinking two 330s if I opened one.

How the heck do you get the pictures the right way up?

The pictures look fine.......In Australia
icon_lol.gif

Chippy did mention about the pic orientation once. Can't for the life of me remember what he said.
Can you open them in paint? Then rotate them, then reupload?
Sorry I'm just guessing. I use photoshop for part of my job so I use that, but I realise it's not available to everyone.

Good luck with it. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
I actually priced up the 3 Coopers cans while I was in the health food store where I buy my homebrew stuff this morning.

I bottle most of my beers in 330ml bottles. I have some 375ml, but they're green. I use those for Lager. Grolsch bottles for Cider.

*** I've downloaded one of your pics. Rotated it in Paint and here it is....

IMG_0139.jpg

I brewed this myself and had a problem of a stuck fermentation
I managed to kick start it again but after a chat on here and my lhbs I would advise using a different yeast
Check my thread on stuck imperial stout not to far down in kit brewing
Think mangrove jacks was recommended on here
Sitting in bath v good idea as my krausen was about 10 in high after 36 hrs

yup I did a 12.86% with a single packet of MJ's yeast it said on the label suitable for up to 14% It handled 20.5 litres of 1.108 og wort fine. I did of course re-hydrate the yeast.

Just checked this and it's bubbbling like crazy, but the krauzen seems to have been up to the underside of the lid and has sunk back down, here hoping that's it been and gone.

Will leave it where it is for another couple of days before moving it.

Meant to mention the wort tasted pretty good first of, but obviously very sweet.

Deceive I am putting this in 500ml bottles as can't be bothered buying cheap crappy beer to drink to get smaller bottles. And anyway by the time I share this with the wife 500ml doesn't go far.

Yes mine was up to Los then collapsed pretty quick that should be it for the big krausen
Mine started sweet then tasted of strong alcohol taste then mellowed
Mine started at 1.096 and went in bottle eventually at 1.030
Should be good by Christmas 😀

So 3 weeks or so in, and taken the first sample for a hydro test.

Looks like 1.024. Still a few bubbles coming from the airlock. Gave it a dose of yeast nutrient yesterday to try and get it down, but how low will it go, and how much can coopers and youngs kit yeast take. Mind I did pop 5 packs in.

IMG_0147.jpg

Well after leaving this far to long I had to get it of the yeast and into a secondary until I get a spare hour or so to bottle.

Fg was 1.022 at the end so gives me an a very of 9.71 pre priming.

Bottled last night with 75 grams of sugar to carb up. They will be tucked away under the house until at least Christmas, well maybe a few to test over the next few months

Have a couple of bottles of coopers stout that will be a year old in a few weeks, looking forward to opening them one night in the not to distance future.

Having been in the bottle for 2 months now stuck one in the fridge last night. Question is should i drink it cold i.e from the fridge or let it warm a bit?

I like to drink big stouts from the fridge but leave out for twenty minutes or so then crack it open. And drink slowly. As it warms you can get lots of different flavours that come forward.
Sure somebody will say room temp only but each to there own I guess.

I like to drink big stouts from the fridge but leave out for twenty minutes or so then crack it open. And drink slowly. As it warms you can get lots of different flavours that come forward.
Sure somebody will say room temp only but each to there own I guess.

Sounds like a plan, at 9%+ it is deffinetly a sipper!

Just drank another one last and WOW a few months and this is really nice. Will be hard not to keep drinking this.

Was really nice to taste how it changed as the beer warmed up, and there is certainly no harsh alcohol taste now, but you certainly know after a pint you have had one

Back