Peckham - Rye Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Peckham - Rye Ale. This beer is Goldern promise, Carapils, torrified wheat and crystal malt. Around 4.5kg of Goldern promise 250g crystal rye, 150g torrified wheat, 350g Carapils. Used 30g of Chinook for bittering, 20g Cascade at 15 min, 20g at 5 and 30g at end of boil all Cascade. Pitched US05 at around 23c and got an OG of around 1057 so this will be around 5.9%. Taste at pitch very sweet and smooth at start, hoppy but no lingering bitterness. 23L was the target and I ended with about 22.5 in the fermenter.

After about three weeks fermenting two bottled in the warm and two in the garage I would say that this is the best beer I have made. It has a slightly red/amber colour, starts with a one finger head and retains a small head all the way down. The taste is mildly bitter with sweetish notes but overall it is a smooth good bodied beer. I like it so much I am going to brew some more of these right away. I think the Crystal rye is the star here.

A month or so later and this is a smooth lovely smelling beer, still got a slight bite from the hops and you know its a highish percentage beer. Feedback from people who have tried it is that it is a very professional tasting beer. Lucky that I have another batch ready for bottling!

Back