HBF Comp Raspberry Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Raspberry Wheat Beer
23L

Larger malt 3k
Wheat malt 2.6k

70 min boil

Challenger 20g @ 60 min
Irish moss tsp @ 15 min

WB06 yeast
Raspberry's 3k day 2 of fermentation

OG 1057
FG 1009
ABV 6.3

This is the Greg Hughes recipe bumped up a little.
It keeps really well, I think it was about 6 months old at tasting and probably took 6 weeks to get good.

I'm on with this GH recipe this weekend. Did you have any issues hitting the OG with the wheat malt? I read somewhere else that is tricky to mash/sparge effectively. If so I might bump the quantity a little.

Thanks!

I did a hefeweizen last summer that was 50% Pilsner and 50% wheat and I hit about 8 points under my target OG. Whether that's to do with the wheat or my technique I don't know!

I'm on with this GH recipe this weekend. Did you have any issues hitting the OG with the wheat malt? I read somewhere else that is tricky to mash/sparge effectively. If so I might bump the quantity a little.

Thanks!

I biab and dunk sparge and all went well. I did bump up the grain bill on this brew as the one before I was way off target. But as always is the way this one went fine.
I've brewed a few wheat beers now and haven't noticed any problems with hitting targets.
Its a great beer, just keep it away from the misses mine drank most of mine and is now telling me to get another on the go..

I biab and dunk sparge and all went well. I did bump up the grain bill on this brew as the one before I was way off target. But as always is the way this one went fine.
I've brewed a few wheat beers now and haven't noticed any problems with hitting targets.
Its a great beer, just keep it away from the misses mine drank most of mine and is now telling me to get another on the go..

I'll hide it well :thumb:
I'm planning the same, in a BIAB and dunk. Will add 5% to the lager malt.

Thanks.

Hi JFB

What was your mash temperature for this beer? I'm planning to do a fruit wheat beer for the summer, I've probably got time to get one more beer through my FV before doing this one in say late March or April.

Hi JFB

What was your mash temperature for this beer? I'm planning to do a fruit wheat beer for the summer, I've probably got time to get one more beer through my FV before doing this one in say late March or April.

Mashed at 65, Fermentation at 22(I didn't have any control when I brewed this)
I will certainly be brewing this again for the summer..

..with both summer and autumn fruiting varieties. The autumn fruiting should be cut down to ground level after harvest while the summer type should only have the old woody stems removed as the new growth will provide next year's fruit.
Well that's what I did with mine!
Now...back to beer....what raspberries were used...fresh or frozen..and how do they affect siphoning and the overall taste?

Cheers

Clint

I'm using frozen in mine.

So, allow primary fermentation to get well under way (say a week) and then treat like a dry hop. Defrost the raspberries, add to a sanitised secondary FV and squash with a sanitised potato masher. Syphon the beer from the primary on top and leave for a week or until all fermentation has stopped. Bottle like usual leaving the raspberry pulp in the secondary.

That's the plan anyway!!

so I've read you should always use fruit that has been frozen for beer. The freezing and defrosting breaks the fruit down and lets something or other happen that is good:thumb:
Be careful with bits of fruit getting into the bottles as it seems to turn the beer into gushers!

Raspberry Wheat Beer
23L

Larger malt 3k
Wheat malt 2.6k

70 min boil

Challenger 20g @ 60 min
Irish moss tsp @ 15 min

WB06 yeast
Raspberry's 3k day 2 of fermentation

OG 1057
FG 1009
ABV 6.3

This is the Greg Hughes recipe bumped up a little.
It keeps really well, I think it was about 6 months old at tasting and probably took 6 weeks to get good.
Sorry if I come across a bit simple but I'm going to try the recipe out, when you say 6 weeks is that after bottling?

Latest posts

Back