Festival NZ 'Pilsner', As is or pimp?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amidared

Reaction score
I received a NZ 'Pilsner' kit over the Christmas period from a neighbour and although I havent done kits for a while I'm thinking I'll knock this one out later and get it in the FV.

Although it says 'Pilsner' in the description it has a California ale yeast and can be fermented at room temperature so I'm assuming they used Pilsner malt and catered for the general home brewing community and simply added an all round neutral type of yeast, in my eyes that would make it more of a Kölsch type ale rather than a Pilsner lager. In which case I have to decide how I want this kit to turn out, kits being kits I've changed the yeast anyway when I did them.

I have a fermenting fridge ready to go with Inky etc and could simply swap the yeast for a Safale 34/70 or other Bohemian Lager yeast and ferment in the fridge at the lower temp. OR use the original yeast and pimp it with orange extract and see if I can get even close to an orange ale I had back in the summer, I'm thinking I'd best leave that option for an A.G version seeing as I have no idea how this kit is meant to turn out as is. Personally I'm leaning towards the yeast swap and do a lager seeing as I'm not rushed for time or then again just knock it out according to the makers and see how it is which essentially would be going against why I moved on from kits pretty rapidly and don't really want to look back. Has anyone ever done this kit and swapped the yeast, or even done it with the original yeast?

Choices eh, this is the kind of dilemma I could do with a few more rather than the council tax etc. :lol:

It's very common for lager kits to come with ale yeast making them as you say more of a Kölsch or a steam beer (being California ale yeast I'd call it steam beer but I may be wrong).

Just bear in mind if you go for a true lager yeast and ferment at lager temps you'll need twice as much yeast.

Which ever you decide I'm sure it'll be a great pint!

It's very common for lager kits to come with ale yeast making them as you say more of a Kölsch or a steam beer (being California ale yeast I'd call it steam beer but I may be wrong).

Just bear in mind if you go for a true lager yeast and ferment at lager temps you'll need twice as much yeast.

Which ever you decide I'm sure it'll be a great pint!

Yeah I would be using a starter for sure and look on Smithy or the Friend to see how much was needed. Torn between that and just doing it as is and adding the orange extract into the batch prime at bottling, few options there really. It actually says California Lager on the yeast sachet but that doesn't make sense given the fermenting temps.

It's a great pint but it's definiteley not like any pils I've ever supped.
I've never felt any need to pimp it up as it's good enough straight out the box :thumb:

It's my favourite kit beer straight out of the box. If you've never done it before I'd recommend trying it as-is, it's not going to disappoint and you'll have a yardstick for future experimentation.

I still havent done this kit yet, too much planning for another brew so I think I may well take your good advice and do this as its meant to be done and see how it turns out. No mention of a starter on the leaflet, just sprinkle dry and stir a little. Ok, time for a NZ Kölsch type Pils :lol:

It's a great pint but it's definiteley not like any pils I've ever supped. I've never felt any need to pimp it up as it's good enough straight out the box

It's my favourite kit beer straight out of the box. If you've never done it before I'd recommend trying it as-is, it's not going to disappoint and you'll have a yardstick for future experimentation.

Well I did the NZ Pilsner, unbelievable how quick it can be done but I was really surprised at the O.G, 1,062. I didn't expect it to be that high. I used the kit as it came but I think I will do a hop tea for the addition. Smells ok,

Latest posts

Back