Using a cooler as a fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a beer and as per usual I transferred the finished wort into my fermenter, which started leaking. If I wanted any beer from that batch I couldn't keep it in there, but the only food safe vessel I had was a rubber maid type cooler once used as a mash tun.

The wort is sitting in there, slowly being turned into beer by the yeast. It's all good for now, but there is no way for the CO2 to escape. My plan is to open the lid slightly once a day for the next couple of weeks, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to let the gas escape from the cooler without having to lift the lid? I can't drill into the top of it.

Thanks

if your concerned about the odd breeze blowing in an airborne nasty, you could use a sheet if aluminum foil to mold a close fitting lid without the need to screw down the lid. After a precautionary spray with your favorite no rinse sanitiser..

I doubt very much that a cooler will be airtight. I reckon the CO2 will escape just fine with the lid shut.

My FV lid doesn't have a home for an airlock. I StarSan some clingfilm and lay that over the top. Its definitely not airtight but prevents insects and (most) microbugs entering. Plus it allows me to have a cheeky peek :)

Thanks for all your replies. I was sitting next to the cooler today and noticed the smell of fermenting ale. The lid is half screwed on, which makes me think air can get out just fine and as @thumper says it probably isn't airtight.

As Thumper says the lid probably isnt air tight. What I do when fermenting beer is to cover the FV with cling film and hold it on with a big elastic band - never had a problem doing this in several years of brewing

Back