First time brewer from Leeds

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw bubbles today so guessing I haven't killed my yeast! It was 35 degrees inside the brew shed yesterday....

Saw bubbles today so guessing I haven't killed my yeast! It was 35 degrees inside the brew shed yesterday....
Copied from another post I made this evening...
'I have a brew on the go at present in my garage, which has hit 27/28*C at times. However I put my FV in my water bath (alias Wilko trug) and the bath temperature has stayed in the range 20-22*C due in part to evaporative cooling I suspect, and me swapping a litre of warm water with a litre of cold from the fridge about twice a day.'
Suggest you try my idea. Anything is better than 35*C :eek:

Looks like my FV already has one of those strips!

Question: Is there a good thermometer which logs temperatures over a historical period (ie 24 hours or a week even?) That way I can track min/max temperatures over time.

2017-06-20_19-27-32_051.jpg

Looks like my FV already has one of those strips!

Question: Is there a good thermometer which logs temperatures over a historical period (ie 24 hours or a week even?) That way I can track min/max temperatures over time.
24° to me.They are actually pretty good and give you a ballpark figure..

Gerry

So Tuesday is Day 16. If I follow the instructions from TreeBeard, I add the dry hops and leave another 5-6 days. Any advice before I do this?

This thread reminds me of my first brew. It was a Young's Harvest Bitter with a kilo of sugar as per the instructions. I fermented it in the immersion heater cupboard thinking that it would keep it nice and warm. It certainly did that. The resulting brew had serious fusel alcohol which gave me the worst headache I have ever had. Took about a week to disappear completely! I threw most of it out except for a couple of bottles. 6 months later they actually tasted pretty good. To the OP I would say don't worry too much. It will get easier the more brews you do. Try to find a place where you have reasonably consistent temperatures preferably between 18-22C. The Summer house is not great because the temp will be too high just now, especially during the day. Oh and by the way you don't need to do a starter with dried yeast. Ideally you should rehydrate it in boiled, cooled water 10ml per gram of yeast @ 30-35C wait 15 mins, stir and pitch. However, many people just pitch the dry yeast into the wort and get perfectly acceptable results. Good luck and keep on brewing.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Day 14.

Took a hydrometer measurement but it has just sunk to the bottom of the vessel. Picture below.

Should I be concerned?

As it's day 14 and there weren't any bubbles coming through the airlock, I've just added my dry hops to the FV. Will leave for 5 days then transfer to the keg.

Hydrometer Reading.jpeg

Day 14.

Took a hydrometer measurement but it has just sunk to the bottom of the vessel. Picture below.

Should I be concerned?

As it's day 14 and there weren't any bubbles coming through the airlock, I've just added my dry hops to the FV. Will leave for 5 days then transfer to the keg.
That's unusual. I would not expect the gravity to go below 1.000 unless you had an infection. However, I suspect you have simply not put enough beer into the trial jar to allow it to float. You need to fill it up a bit more for final gravity readings because the hydrometer will sink lower than it does for original gravity reading. Try to ensure that the beer is as close to 20C as possible too. Higher temp equals lower reading. Lower temp equals higher reading. There are calculators online which can adjust for different temperatures if you need to.

........ However, I suspect you have simply not put enough beer into the trial jar to allow it to float. ............

Dinnae be daft now! Think on lad!! :doh:

If there was more beer in the trial jar the hydrometer could sink down and show a lower SG.

Bad News

Although it isn't so unusual to have an SG in the 0.990 range, it is rare and may very well indicate an infection. :doh:

Good News

If it's not then the ABV will be way above expectations. :thumb:

In my , very, humble opinion ... just do a couple of days with hops and then stick in in a scatter of bottles or a keg. Give it a week in a warm place (not your 35 degree summerhouse!) then a week in a cool place ... and then try some.
One of two things will occur ....
1. Beer is great, you are impressed and are already starting a new batch
2. It's terrible, you hate it and you are already starting a new batch
Either way, you have already learned loads and will continue to gain experience as you go.
Don't lose heart and try something like youngs American Amber Ale as your next brew

Dinnae be daft now! Think on lad!! :doh:

If there was more beer in the trial jar the hydrometer could sink down and show a lower SG.

Bad News

Although it isn't so unusual to have an SG in the 0.990 range, it is rare and may very well indicate an infection. :doh:

Good News

If it's not then the ABV will be way above expectations. :thumb:
Doh😯 Didn't think that one through!

Less of the lad though please. Not been a lad for quite a few years....son.😃

Might be an idea to test the hydrometer though. Should read 1.000 in distilled water @ 20C, unless it is calibrated at a different temperature of course. Think most hydrometers are calibrated at 20C these days though.

Also, looking at your pic, you have brewed it quite "long". In other words you have made it up to 27l rather than 23l. This will obviously give you more beer but will weaken it overall and may, in some part, account for a lower initial gravity.

I find splitting the overall volume of the liquid into two FV if you want more beer so for example I have 30L in two FV going at the moment which always works for me 15L each tops.

I locked mine in on Saturday gone and it's still bubbling now stability temp between 20 21.

What has always worked out for me I only use starter yeast in the winter to be honest as my office at home is a warm place in the summer anyways which helps to regulate the temp.

Less of the lad though please. Not been a lad for quite a few years....son.😃

Some time ago a Post asked "How old are you?"

At 74 years old I think I was Second on the list ... :doh:

... but I will he happy to be relegated to a much lower position ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and sincerely hope that I am not now First! :lol: :lol:

I wasn't implying that I was older than you. I am well aware how old you are from the thread you mentioned. However, I was taking exception to the patronising tone of your post. The "son" reference was tongue in cheek.

Well 5 days have passed since I added the hops so I've now transferred into a keg. Had a bit left over (as I brewed long) so filled a bottle too.

I sterilised the syphon equipment, keg and hydrometer etc., gave it all a thorough rinse, took a hydrometer reading, then filled the keg up. Put a bit of vaseline on the rubber seal for the screw cap.

Added the dextrose and stirred in. Screwed the cap nice and tight.

I sucked on the tube to get the syphon going and the taste wasn't very good. Hopefully things will improve over the next few weeks!

One question I have - should I add any CO2 to the keg? The instructions don't suggest that I need to so not sure whether this is required or necessary?

Filling the keg.jpg

FV emptying.jpg

Leftover Bottle.jpeg

Syphoning.jpg

Hydrometer Reading.jpeg

Latest posts

Back