Labeling your own bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threads merged - Chippy_Tea.

Hey guys,

Do any of you guys ever have labels printed for your brews?

Be interested to hear what you've had done.

I used to order labels but by the time I got the labels there was no more beer to label. I just write the brew number on the cap. In my living room, a black board with a description of the brew so guests can know what they're drinking.
When I do need a label, say to give to a friend, I just print one from my laser printer and apply with milk. Done.

Yup I got a load designed by my cousin and printed by my mate. See attached. Also if you use brewersfriend.com recipe builder thingy, there's an auto label maker, you just have to print them off on sticky backed paper.....simples

nicksbeer-page-001.jpg

All my bottles get labelled with the beer name, strength and date of bottling. I keep a decent stash in the garage and always amazes me how long some of them have been in there, I've still got a load from early summer and some Brewferm Belgians from over a year ago.

I use Avery L7173 labels and the online software on the Avery website. Don't be tempted to use cheap labels as the glue can be a real PITA to get off, I've done tests with loads of different types over the years and find branded Avery ones are the best for soaking off. I've also done the milk and paper method but cutting up 40 labels isn't my idea of fun.

Using the milk idea is it best to use full, half, or skimmed.

drinking Salzburg Marzen
conditioning English bitter, Affligem clone
Secondary Christmas ale
Planning Oat stout and Imperial stout

I use Avery L7173 labels and the online software on the Avery website. Don't be tempted to use cheap labels as the glue can be a real PITA to get off, I've done tests with loads of different types over the years and find branded Avery ones are the best for soaking off. I've also done the milk and paper method but cutting up 40 labels isn't my idea of fun.

Tried attatching a few inkjet labels with milk on some PET bottles. Great to start with. Next day they had all dried and fallen off. Worth a try, though. Maybe better on glass bottles. So I am on the lookout for an alternative. Using Avery labels could be the solution if they are easily removed, as you say they are.

I have a few questions, please.

I see that the Avery L7173 labels you use are 10 to a page. Do you find they are big enough or have you considered sheets with 8 or even 6 to a page?
Not sure if you bottle in glass or plastic. Would the labels be as easy to remove on PET bottles?
Do the Avery templates have beer label templates that can be edited or do you need to create your own design from scratch?

Hi!
Although not aesthetically pleasing, small labels tied around the neck with string can clearly indicate beer type, strength and date of bottling and no sticking required.

I started out with small tags tied with string, then found some floppy disk labels I've now recently started using glossy printable wine bottle labels, they arnt cheap 10 sheets each with 4 labels was about �£10. They do however make the bottles look really pro with sometime on Photoshop.
Two images below from the ones I've made for a Xmas gift for dad

5hMankHfNet7PuYCA

G3ACNgm2pCnwwQvQ9

The ink jet printed labels stuck on with milk work very well on glass bottles. I distressed a few for props with wet wore wool and they weren't shifting! It's very ink intensive though, so it'll get expensive fast!

Yourbrew.co.uk have recently started offering 50 labels for £6.50 and they look great.
I've only tried removing one so far and it seemed very gummy but came off OK. Will probably work better if I'm not rushing.

aeb6775e207f5693b6ed7372b8e71a40.jpg

c675d8e51dd603c5addd3ed104231d76.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I used to order labels but by the time I got the labels there was no more beer to label. I just write the brew number on the cap. In my living room, a black board with a description of the brew so guests can know what they're drinking.
When I do need a label, say to give to a friend, I just print one from my laser printer and apply with milk. Done.

Iam impressed with the blackboard :hat:

Hi there all,

I have just been checking out this post has anyone got any label stencils to upload which us boys on the forum could maybe use as out template, or what we could maybe change wording wise.

as I am not really that good on a computer to do anything skills wize.

Thanks in advance

Big D 2657

Hi there all,

I have just been checking out this post has anyone got any label stencils to upload which us boys on the forum could maybe use as out template, or what we could maybe change wording wise.

as I am not really that good on a computer to do anything skills wize.

Thanks in advance

Big D 2657
Happy to share these, if they are any use. Put together with the Avery Design and Print software (freely downloadable) and designed to fit Avery labels J8165-25 - QuickDry Inkjet Address Labels 99.1 x 67.7mm. I have tried not to go over the top to avoid using up lots of printer ink. Feel free to use and adapt if they are of use.

View attachment Avery.zip

Happy to share these, if they are any use. Put together with the Avery Design and Print software (freely downloadable) and designed to fit Avery labels J8165-25 - QuickDry Inkjet Address Labels 99.1 x 67.7mm. I have tried not to go over the top to avoid using up lots of printer ink. Feel free to use and adapt if they are of use.
A few more label designs if they are of interest to anyone starting out. Label type as above!

View attachment Archive.zip

Full fat. I've found both work but have had more success with full fat. It could all be in my head though.

I just colour code with caps, and have an office-style labeller. Labelling with proper paper does sound pretty cool though, some of your bottles are impressive!!

Back