Tea Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Still in my experimental phase kicked off a tea wine from an old wine book :

4l cold tea
500g raisins - blitzed
1 orange - skin and juice
1 lemon - skin and juice
1kg sugar

Yeast and nutrient

All in bucket except sugar and ferment on pulp for a week.
Strain and transfer to demijohn to finish and top up and add sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bored over the xmas hols, I was gripped by the sudden urge to make tea wine! 12 tea bags, 500g raisins, 1.5kg sugar and half an hour later I'd got a gallon on the go. I know I once made some aeons ago and it was really rather good; don't know why I haven't made it again until now. Anyways it's down to 1010 and still going at it like the clappers.
Inspired by this I got some Earl Grey teabags on Saturday and knocked up another gallon - should be interesting!

Is that a whole orange and lemon cut up or just skin and juice? Also how strong did you do the tea?

I did a 6 tea bag brew (Yorkshire) and let it brew for 5 mins .

Peeled skin off whole orange and lemon - chopped up and threw in. Juiced the orange and lemon and put juice only in.

Bored over the xmas hols, I was gripped by the sudden urge to make tea wine! 12 tea bags, 500g raisins, 1.5kg sugar and half an hour later I'd got a gallon on the go. I know I once made some aeons ago and it was really rather good; don't know why I haven't made it again until now. Anyways it's down to 1010 and still going at it like the clappers.
Inspired by this I got some Earl Grey teabags on Saturday and knocked up another gallon - should be interesting!

Ooo - you've gone for more sugar stronger brew ?

I tinkered with idea of Earl Grey - will do that next me thinks.

Y'know, I didn't bother to check the SG as I'm becoming increasingly lax in my old age but I knew 1.5kg of sugar + the raisins would ensure sufficient 'robustness' and keep the missus happy, as it will be she who sups it!

I did a 6 tea bag brew (Yorkshire) and let it brew for 5 mins .

Peeled skin off whole orange and lemon - chopped up and threw in. Juiced the orange and lemon and put juice only in.

Thanks pvt I might give this a go next week.

Hmm interesting, let me know how this turns out mate... could be fit for a 25L batch 😃

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My missus will sup owt so if this tea wine goes down well it'll be all I make in future. There cannot be a cheaper way!?! Being a tight wad by nature, I find this very appealling.

My missus will sup owt so if this tea wine goes down well it'll be all I make in future. There cannot be a cheaper way!?! Being a tight wad by nature, I find this very appealling.

I've got a fussy one mate - so if she does drink this we're quids in ! Deffo one of the cheaper brews so far !!

Hmm interesting, let me know how this turns out mate... could be fit for a 25L batch [emoji2]

I'm a feeling a 25l batch of something coming on for the weekend . A TC of sorts . Need to peruse the shelves of Asda tomorrow I think for inspiration - never did throw a rhubarb one on so feeling that. Did you ever find any rhubarb juice that's suitable ?

I would make it with the apple and rhubarb copella, just need to find a decent source !

I'm going to nip Asda and Sainsbury tomorrow (they're next door to each other) will feed back on the recce !

Noticed you all went with raisins or sultanas. I must admit that I like it cold like without vinosity, a good refreshing drink, bit like liptons ice tea with alcohol :)

Just done my first tea wine.
10 aldi berry fruits.
3 Yorkshire tea in mug.
1 lemon peel and juice.
500g sultanas. Simmered for 1 hr.
1kg sugar dissolved after berry fruit tea bags removed from 1 litre of water.
1 tsp pectolace
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp youngs super wine yeast

Will be strong. Came at 1.140 og.
Might end up a dessert wine.

Just put this on tonight following the recipe from the OP except I used Assam tea. Got an OG of 1030 what was yours @pvt_ak?

I did't take one mate but that's bang on. Sugar for that amount of raisins is about 340g according to my book which says the SG at start should be around 1.030 [emoji106]

When we add in sugar at next step and ferment out we should have wine about 14% [emoji16]

Just done my first tea wine.
10 aldi berry fruits.
3 Yorkshire tea in mug.
1 lemon peel and juice.
500g sultanas. Simmered for 1 hr.
1kg sugar dissolved after berry fruit tea bags removed from 1 litre of water.
1 tsp pectolace
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp youngs super wine yeast

Will be strong. Came at 1.140 og.
Might end up a dessert wine.

Bloody hell thats rocket fuel if it gets down to below 1.000 !
[emoji39]

I did't take one mate but that's bang on. Sugar for that amount of raisins is about 340g according to my book which says the SG at start should be around 1.030 [emoji106]

When we add in sugar at next step and ferment out we should have wine about 14% [emoji16]

That's good to know I got it bang on. What is the next step when the sugar goes in?

Latest posts

Back