Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using these mini kegs for a while now.

Like other suggested, but them full of beer, drink the beer then put my own brew in. :-)

If you gently pull the top ring off the black rubber (once empty) it reveals a little red plastic part. Push this into the keg then the rubber bung comes out much much easier.

Then simply put back together. It only fits one way anyway.

I only use these mini kegs and a few swing top bottles.

Anyone got any idea how long one wil last once you tap into it?

About 9 pints ish.

I've had one open for a few drinks. Closed it and then had some the weekend. Was still carbed nicely.

The beer clears well in these too. In fact I highly rate them.

I'm rather excited about all this mini keg malarkey. Using them means I can store more beer in my beer storage area and therefore condition my beer longer :party:

Also I think I'm right in that all these mini kegs you buy from the supermarket are cask conditioned aren't I? Which means you can harvest the yeast from them. There's no guarentee that the yeast will be the primary strain as the brewery could have used one strain to ferment with and put a different strain in the keg to prime it. But judging by the amount of yeast I get in my 1L growlers I think you'd only need to put what you harvested from the keg in a 1L or 2L starter and you'd be good to go - no need for stepping up

So a potential triple bonus. You get the beer to drink. The mini keg to re-use. Plus a potential new yeast strain try out :party:

Think I'll take a wander down to Tescum later to see what I can find as from what the rest of you guys say their my best bet. :cheers:

Interested, do any of these systems allow you to take a keg to a friends party and dispense clear beer after the journey ?

I guess you would have to treat the wort with finnings to clear then fill the keg and force carb - do any of the systems you can buy allow this ?

Interested, do any of these systems allow you to take a keg to a friends party and dispense clear beer after the journey ?

I guess you would have to treat the wort with finnings to clear then fill the keg and force carb - do any of the systems you can buy allow this ?

Some of the system allow you to force carb rather than cask condition. What you would doI think is after fermentation, cold crash to get the yeast at the bottom of the FV then rack into the kegs and force carb

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57306

Some of the system allow you to force carb rather than cask condition. What you would doI think is after fermentation, cold crash to get the yeast at the bottom of the FV then rack into the kegs and force carb

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57306

Thanks MyQul, that link isn't working for me, I get a message about insufficent user priveleges ??

Happy to cold crash and or add finings. Its the force carbing bit and which systems allows this I need to get my head around ?

Would be good to get a hold of one of these to give it a try, but the postage costs makes that really inefficient. Think I'll have a look in the supermarket and see if I can pick one up that's already full of beer.

Would be good to get a hold of one of these to give it a try, but the postage costs makes that really inefficient. Think I'll have a look in the supermarket and see if I can pick one up that's already full of beer.

My thoughts exactly. The postage puts me off just buying an empty one and filling it with my own beer

My thoughts exactly. The postage puts me off just buying an empty one and filling it with my own beer

The cost of getting an empty one delivered is pretty much exactly what it costs for a full one from supermarket. Plus you don't need to wait for it!

So.....does anyone have a definitive list of which commercial ones are re-usable and which ones are not?

Your probably right about the ass covering. If they're not re-fillable how do you fill them in the first place :hmm:

Just been looking on Tescum's site. They have OSH and the two types of hobgobbo. Hopefully they'll have the OSH in the Tescum near me. Just waiting for MrsMQ to get back from whereever she's gone with the shopping trolley

Latest posts

Back