First all grain batch! Somekind of Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
Evening all,

After reading a post on simple all grain biab, I decided to try and knock up a something that resembles a local london brew by the kernel brewery.
Namely their export stout, So i order some grains from the home brew shop.
3kg Maris otter
500g Roasted barley
500g Chocolate malt
500g Flaked oats
50g EKG hop pellets 35g added
Safale 04 yeast

Basically I halved everything and went ahead with a projected 10 litre batch.
following everything i had picked up from a few posts and videos.

Equipment.

1 18L stock pot
1 5L pot (to have 80c water ready for second plunge)
1 spoon
1 23L fermenting bucket, and a few normal things like thermometer, scales......

Mashed at 68c for an hour, temp dropped to 64c - 6L
drained wort into the FV and heated another batch of water to 80c - 8L and dropped the bag in for a further 10mins.
Removed the bag and returned the first wort to the stockpot for the boil.
Boiled for 60 mins with hop addition at 60 mins.

Ended with just over 10.5L
And it is as black as night, huge roasted aroma as well as chocolate and coffee!
As experiments go it seams alright so far, first gravity reading was 10.54
Hydrometer saying potential alcohol 7% doubt it will finish at that.

Comments welcomed both good and less good! :thumb:

David

Evening all,

After reading a post on simple all grain biab, I decided to try and knock up a something that resembles a local london brew by the kernel brewery.
Namely their export stout, So i order some grains from the home brew shop.
3kg Maris otter
500g Roasted barley
500g Chocolate malt
500g Flaked oats
50g EKG hop pellets 35g added
Safale 04 yeast

Basically I halved everything and went ahead with a projected 10 litre batch.
following everything i had picked up from a few posts and videos.

Equipment.

1 18L stock pot
1 5L pot (to have 80c water ready for second plunge)
1 spoon
1 23L fermenting bucket, and a few normal things like thermometer, scales......

Mashed at 68c for an hour, temp dropped to 64c - 6L
drained wort into the FV and heated another batch of water to 80c - 8L and dropped the bag in for a further 10mins.
Removed the bag and returned the first wort to the stockpot for the boil.
Boiled for 60 mins with hop addition at 60 mins.

Ended with just over 10.5L
And it is as black as night, huge roasted aroma as well as chocolate and coffee!
As experiments go it seams alright so far, first gravity reading was 10.54
Hydrometer saying potential alcohol 7% doubt it will finish at that.

Comments welcomed both good and less good! :thumb:

David
You have a lot of roasted barley and chocolate malt in that grain bill.I done the same for a 20 litre batch and it's bitter but nice when conditioned a while.
Hope all went well.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I second that. You have an awful lot of dark roasted grains in there. It will be intensely roast/burnt tasting but if you are a big fan of dark stouts and you give or some time to age and mellow then you could be on to a winner.

Cheers,

Checked a few recipes and they all had less Dark grains, but i thought what the hell, updates will defo be forth coming over the next weeks and months.
It smells like a coffee shop! i will most likely leave it for around october time and maybe a few samples along the way!

D

Cheers,

Checked a few recipes and they all had less Dark grains, but i thought what the hell, updates will defo be forth coming over the next weeks and months.
It smells like a coffee shop! i will most likely leave it for around october time and maybe a few samples along the way!

D
Let us know in around 2 years when it's mellowed a bit.....🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Cheers,

D

An approach for these sort of brews is to add a bottle to a larger quantity of another beer. If you did a couple of less distinctive beers, then it could add a sort of a change in direction?

Increasingly, I find I have a taste for darker beers and adding a small bottle of an aged stout to a much larger quantity of an English-y sort of a beer makes for an interesting drink.

There is a lot of history on this blending of different ages of beers. It does really work.

An approach for these sort of brews is to add a bottle to a larger quantity of another beer. If you did a couple of less distinctive beers, then it could add a sort of a change in direction?

Increasingly, I find I have a taste for darker beers and adding a small bottle of an aged stout to a much larger quantity of an English-y sort of a beer makes for an interesting drink.

There is a lot of history on this blending of different ages of beers. It does really work.

Thanks, that i will defo try! i had a cheeky sniff after 4 days and got a huge caramel note. is that common with safale 04? anybody know. Thanks again D

Thanks, that i will defo try! i had a cheeky sniff after 4 days and got a huge caramel note. is that common with safale 04? anybody know. Thanks again D

Safale S04 does leave more complex sugars behind than, say US 05, so a caramel note seems consistent with this.

Latest posts

Back