Ciderworks apple cider kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanzanite

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is a superb kit easy to make and the cider is mega nice better than any commercial cider, it taste a little like Stowfords press but more apple taste and more fizz (give it plenty of sugar when bottling to get that fizz) i make it med sweet and to 21 Litres instead of 23 Litres. totally recommend this kit :)

Hello Tanzanite. I've been over to Chesterfield this morning and bought the ciderworks apple cider kit.
I have some experience brewing beer kits but this is my first cider kit.
I have just set it going In the fermenting vessel and have followed the instructions to the letter(hopefully)
My hydrometer reading as of 30 minutes ago was 1050
Temprature 22.

I wondering if you can advise me Roughly what strength the finished cider could at the end of fermentation. I know everyone likes different and I tend to prefer something around 5% ish.
It's just curiosity really if it comes out really strong I'll just have to drink less. I suppose it will last longer that way.
Best wishes Brian:cheers

Hello Tanzanite. I've been over to Chesterfield this morning and bought the ciderworks apple cider kit.
I have some experience brewing beer kits but this is my first cider kit.
I have just set it going In the fermenting vessel and have followed the instructions to the letter(hopefully)
My hydrometer reading as of 30 minutes ago was 1050
Temprature 22.

I wondering if you can advise me Roughly what strength the finished cider could at the end of fermentation. I know everyone likes different and I tend to prefer something around 5% ish.
It's just curiosity really if it comes out really strong I'll just have to drink less. I suppose it will last longer that way.
Best wishes Brian:cheers

Hi Brian, were are you i am Nottingham, I dont know the strength, i havent used a hydrometer when brewing for 20yrs, i do every thing by eye and experiance, , Bri give it ten days in the fermenter use all the ingredients , it comes out a nice medium lovely apple taste. after ten days stick it into a clean FV and put a wilkos wine clearer through it and leave a week or so,(i dont do this with beer but the cider is better for it) prime i use a teaspoon sugar per 500ml.leave warm for two weeks, then let it condition for a month and away you go . the Apple and Elderflower is bang on too. :thumb:

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking forward to trying this when it's complete. I'm in Sheffield and following the reviews I spotted that the home brew Shop "Love Brewing" stock these kits.so I visited this morning.
A really well equipped shop and I was dead lucky and got parked right outside the door. The lady who served me was very pleasant and gave me the impression she was really clued up on all things Home brew.
They even have a section of the shop where a number of completed kits are stored and are happy to let you taste any that you fancy trying.
I tip toed past that with my eyes averted though. Having the car with me:-?
Thank you again for your reply and I'll follow your advice when the kit gets to the ready stage. I'm getting impatient and it's only been in the fermentor a couple of hours.

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking forward to trying this when it's complete. I'm in Sheffield and following the reviews I spotted that the home brew Shop "Love Brewing" stock these kits.so I visited this morning.
A really well equipped shop and I was dead lucky and got parked right outside the door. The lady who served me was very pleasant and gave me the impression she was really clued up on all things Home brew.
They even have a section of the shop where a number of completed kits are stored and are happy to let you taste any that you fancy trying.
I tip toed past that with my eyes averted though. Having the car with me:-?
Thank you again for your reply and I'll follow your advice when the kit gets to the ready stage. I'm getting impatient and it's only been in the fermentor a couple of hours.

Brian look up discount home brew in doncaster his names gary he sells stuff from his house and you can go round (he has a web site) and is very cheap on most things his glass 500ml bottles are £11 secondhand or £16 new, thats for 40 bottles, he stocks a fair bit , nothing like the Chesterfield shop , i only use them for the ciderworks kits has there expensive on most other things.

Hi Brian, were are you i am Nottingham, I dont know the strength, i havent used a hydrometer when brewing for 20yrs, i do every thing by eye and experiance, , Bri give it ten days in the fermenter use all the ingredients , it comes out a nice medium lovely apple taste. after ten days stick it into a clean FV and put a wilkos wine clearer through it and leave a week or so,(i dont do this with beer but the cider is better for it) prime i use a teaspoon sugar per 500ml.leave warm for two weeks, then let it condition for a month and away you go . the Apple and Elderflower is bang on too. :thumb:

Hi Tanzanite.
Sorry to be a pain but I've just re-read your advice and am wondering about the conditioning sugar whilst bottling.
My kit comes with a sachet of sugar which the instructions say to use at the end of fermentation.
I'm wondering if you would use this and then add a further teaspoon per bottle. Or would you disregard the sachet.
Thanks again for your advice
Brian

Hi Tanzanite.
Sorry to be a pain but I've just re-read your advice and am wondering about the conditioning sugar whilst bottling.
My kit comes with a sachet of sugar which the instructions say to use at the end of fermentation.
I'm wondering if you would use this and then add a further teaspoon per bottle. Or would you disregard the sachet.
Thanks again for your advice
Brian

Use it yes , use 1 heaped to 500ml of cider there should be enough. If your bottling 750ml bottles i put two flat teaspoons, if there not enough use sugar. use all the ingredients sweetners flavour etc, you will be happy with this cider poured over ice into a tall glass it yummy, i am doing german lagers, mead and a dark bitter of my own recipe at the minute, but come march i will do two of the apple , and two apple and elderflower might even give the pear a go for summer.

Just a follow up on how my kit has worked out. After bottling and leaving in the kitchen to start conditioning for two weeks. All the bottles are now stood on the shelf in the garage. Quite cool but frost proof.
I have now tried a bottle last night and one this afternoon.
My thoughts are that this cider is really good. The However that I'm adding, is that for me whilst it is quite moorish it is really too strong. I did take readings before and after and my calculation puts it at 6.7% whilst this isn't rocket fuel it is much stronger than I am used too.
The 500ml PET Bottles (coopers) are extremely hard but the effervescence of the poured cider isn't yet really noticeable but I do get a fizz of air release when cracking a bottle. I now intend to leave it for a further month.
I know it's early to give a real opinion but due to me using all the initial sweetener sachet next time I may limit it to perhaps about three quarters of the sachet. When I first mixed the flavour sachet to the kit I was a bit concerned that the flavour would be a bit artificial but just a couple of weeks on the taste is fine. I'm looking forward to having a further try in about four week time.
Best wishes to all Brian

Latest posts

Back