Alegar or Beergar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoccieGirl

Reaction score
Hello m'dears, tis me again.

Here's the querie.

I make a mulberry chocolate (with mulberries from a 400 year old tree) and have been using an alegar reduction to complement the mulberries. But I want to change from my supplier as am a little disappointed.

Soooooo..who makes it over here? Do you have any recommendations? Do any of you actually distil your own? I know that it is popular in Bavaria and Holland... but it would be nice to get some from good old Blighty.

I am in North Lincolnshire.

All Beergar/Alegar info gratefully received.

Thank you, Chocciegirl xxx

Well that's a new one to me, and I've found a definition but nothing on how to make it. So it's basically a hopped malt vinegar?

I should warn you that discussion of distillation in any way, shape or form is forbidden on this forum and will probably get deleted, even though you're asking about a distilled vinegar and not a potable spirit.

If anyone knows about this I'm guessing it could be Aleman, so stick around and someone might be able to advise.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum :cheers:

seems interesting sour ale stored in a oak cask for a long time, allow the natural evapouration to reduce it, like balsamic vinegar.

I suppose you could reduce it with heat for a quicker result.

so brew a medieval ale to about 7% and and let aceto do it's stuff could be temping

Welcome to the Forum CG.
Moley's not getting at you, it's just that it's a major Forum rule!

Hello peeps!

Don't worry, I don't feel got at :). I'm not looking to distil it myself, so am not looking at tips and hints; I have enough on my plate with my little business and four children. Alegar is an Ale/Beer Vinegar, but I know you've worked that out.

You see I've drawn a bit of a blank on the whole thing and figured that if anyone would know anything then it would be yourselves. I just wondered if any of you knew who was making it and selling it commercially, or might be making it - preferably in this country, but not averse to going abroad if necessary.

My current supplier who is English is having his manufactured in South Africa, so it travels a bit! Trouble is, my current supplier has done a real primadonna on me, and I would rather not put any more money his way!

Thank you for the welcome. I should warn you that my hubby's nickname has always been Mole too :cheers:

Am off to Mary Arden's farm at the weekend for their Apple Day and Harvest Fair... apparently lots of ciders to be sampled!

ChoccieGirl said:
No further thoughts?
I think you are a little advanced in your field, so we're all trying to play catchup!
Patience, some one some where will know!

You live and learn, never heard of it either.

I know a few members make their own cider vinegar....some intentionally :D

So give it awhile and they may be able to help

surley all you need to do is get some mother of viniger and put it into a bottle of beer and use that?
also the North Americans know it as malt vinigar so maybe a look at a US site

Just a thought, but couldn't you just brew a basic beer (even a kit would work I guess) and then introduce Mother of Vinegar to it?

I tipped outa bit of some 2 year old beer from a pressure barrel t'other day. That would definately have needed diluting before you put it on your chips.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

Back