Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Fermenting in a keg

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
liamf89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Fermenting in a keg

Hi i have been looking into idea of fermenting in a keg as I normally have couple empty and want to lower chance of introducing oxygen to beer and do closed transfer.. I have been googling a bit and just keep seeing about spunding valve.. Could I not just transfer my wort between two kegs purge the head space then attach disconnect to in valve and on disconnect just attach bit of tube and stick on some star san to allow gas to escape.then when ready to transfer connect disconnects from keg with beer into empty on and the connect gas to one with beer in and set low pressure to get beer flowing to empty keg..
liamf89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Bigcol49
Senior Member
 
Bigcol49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 1,625
Liked 860 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 253

Default

Hi!
Won't the problem be over-carbonation? The recommendation is to transfer from the FV to a keg when the beer has 2 to 5 points to go before fermentation is over. The spunding valve is to ensure that the beer is not over-carbonated.
Bigcol49 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
liamf89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Wasn't planning to ferment it under pressure just pump bit of co2 into it when I first put wort in to purge the keg then have a disconnect on the gas in side so any gas given of during fermentation will come out there threw tube placed in some star san.. Then after ten days transfer it to clean keg.. Connect gas to the one I'm using as fv and put a tube with two black disconnects on the out on both kegs and put bit of pressure in the fv corny to get beer flowing
liamf89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:12 AM   #4
JapanBrew
Senior Member
 
JapanBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,292
Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamf89 View Post
Wasn't planning to ferment it under pressure just pump bit of co2 into it when I first put wort in to purge the keg then have a disconnect on the gas in side so any gas given of during fermentation will come out there threw tube placed in some star san.. Then after ten days transfer it to clean keg.. Connect gas to the one I'm using as fv and put a tube with two black disconnects on the out on both kegs and put bit of pressure in the fv corny to get beer flowing
But at first you need oxygen in and around your wort. This helps the yeast propagate.
But it should be no problem in fact it would be a way to push out the trub and then shut off the gas in part and let finish and carb in one shot. I would then transfer to a new keg after. That would really clear it up like a brite tank. You got my curiosity going. The only real issue would be is there would be more joints and hidden areas for yeast to hide. You could get around that by pumping the hot wort, above 75 degrees, into your keg. But with that, if the seals haven’t been changed to silicon it might be an issue.
After I finish my kegs, I use oxyclean with 60 degree water the rinse well. After, I store my Starsan in the empty kegs when not in use.
JapanBrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Sadfield
Senior Member
 
Sadfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 918
Liked 432 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

Yes you can. Ferment in a corny. The only issue is leaving enough headspace in the keg for the krausen.

The advantage of the spunding valve is that you can dial in the pressure required and carbonate as you ferment, and also when fermenting under pressure you can ferment warmer with less ester production. Another benefit is that top pressure suppresses the krausen, meaning less headspace is needed in the keg.

Edit: I've actual got a farmhouse (yeast blend) brown ale fermenting in one at the moment with nothing but a gas disconnect on to allow CO2 to vent. Not much will get in through the small hole. Not much of an issue if it does as its full of Brett yeast anyway.
__________________
http://www.macchomebrew.club
Sadfield is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
liamf89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
Yes you can. Ferment in a corny. The only issue is leaving enough headspace in the keg for the krausen.

The advantage of the spunding valve is that you can dial in the pressure required and carbonate as you ferment, and also when fermenting under pressure you can ferment warmer with less ester production. Another benefit is that top pressure suppresses the krausen, meaning less headspace is needed in the keg.

Edit: I've actual got a farmhouse (yeast blend) brown ale fermenting in one at the moment with nothing but a gas disconnect on to allow CO2 to vent. Not much will get in through the small hole. Not much of an issue if it does as its full of Brett yeast anyway.
Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking of doing not worried about carbing while it ferments or anything.does the yeast come out first when you start to transfer it to the next keg was thinking of using a jg valve inline so I can run the first bit with yeast and trub down sink or in Mason jar to harvest.
liamf89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
Sadfield
Senior Member
 
Sadfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 918
Liked 432 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamf89 View Post
Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking of doing not worried about carbing while it ferments or anything.does the yeast come out first when you start to transfer it to the next keg was thinking of using a jg valve inline so I can run the first bit with yeast and trub down sink or in Mason jar to harvest.
That sounds like it'll work. The yeast stays set on the bottom of the keg, but it depends where the bottom of the dip tube sits in relation to the top of the yeast cake. I have a spare dip tube that is cut slightly shorter and at a 45 degree angle, for when I ferment in a keg.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur
__________________
http://www.macchomebrew.club
Sadfield is online now  
foxy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
liamf89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
That sounds like it'll work. It depends where the bottom of the dip tube sits in relation to the top of the yeast cake. I have a spare dip tube that is cut slightly shorter and at a 45 degree angle, for when I ferment in a keg.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur
If I leave the dip tube as is on the bottom then it should draw the yeast out first so can run first bit of and then attach it to keg and transfer it. Can put wort between 2 kegs to allow head space
liamf89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Sadfield
Senior Member
 
Sadfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 918
Liked 432 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamf89 View Post
If I leave the dip tube as is on the bottom then it should draw the yeast out first so can run first bit of and then attach it to keg and transfer it. Can put wort between 2 kegs to allow head space
Yes, to both questions.
__________________
http://www.macchomebrew.club
Sadfield is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
Soton
some random guy
 
Soton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 458
Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

If you are going to use a keg for fermentation but not ferment under pressure it’s still a good idea to use a spunding valve, that way the valve will allow the oxygen to be released and replaced with CO2 during fermentation and act as a airlock to stop air getting back in
You would only need it set the valve at low pressur, just enough to keep the keg sealed.
If you then transferred the beer into a well purged keg under pressure it would remain oxygen free and would very properly keep better for longer periods of time
__________________
The worst thing that can happen is if I die is my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Soton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HB ESB AG - Still fermenting SiWHU General Beer Brewing Discussion 2 14-12-2015 09:22 AM
TC fermenting oddball Wine & Cider Brewdays! 5 31-10-2015 01:46 PM
Still fermenting....... CJJ BERRY Wine & Cider Discussions 8 23-08-2013 08:29 AM
top fermenting yeast NOT top fermenting* ? *edit: no krausen wilsoa1111 General Beer Brewing Discussion 1 23-09-2012 08:05 PM
re-fermenting dps General Beer Brewing Discussion 9 21-01-2012 04:36 AM

Newest Threads