Biab conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcusp

Reaction score
I've just converted to biab and have a 70 ltr pot
I have the gw book and on putting my first 19 ltr gw recipe into the calculator on the biab forum with the quantities shown in gw book. When I enter final liqueur quantity of 19 ltrs into the calculator it ups my grain bill by approx another 500g.

Just wondering if this is right or have I done something wrong as I was expecting the grain bill to stay the same and just use the calculator to work out my total liqueur volume.

The only thing I can think of is that it ups the grain bill because of the lower efficiency of around 75% in biab.

Should I go with the calculator or stick to the recipe in the book ?

The problem is your guessing your efficiency, so you are never gonna know until you've done a couple of brews and calculated your true efficiency. Personally I would start lower at 70% and take it from there, but that's me in my brew house. Just out of interest a friend once told me that you should increase your grain bill by 5% when doing a BIAB brew, that's too much of a generalization in my opinion, but worth mentioning. Anyway long story short I would always go with the calculator as it should be more tailored to your needs.

Neil

Cheers Neil I'll start with what the calculator says then ?
Can you tell me how I calculate my efficiency ?

Back