AG-Wheat beer experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapbrew

Junk and disorderly
Reaction score
I have been looking into using unmalted wheat coz I have access to it at the watermill I manage. In my research I've found some beers have up to 50% unmalted wheat.

So to experiment....

Yesterday I milled some of our unmalted wheat and added it to a brew.

335g Unmalted wheat ...41.2%
330g Maris otter.....40.6%
148g Irish pilsner malt....18.2%

90 min mash @ 66°C
Dunk Sparge @ 80°C for 10 mins
75 min boil
3g First gold at 75 mins
5g First gold @ 15 mins
brewery yeast harvested from my last brew.
OG 1040

lets see what happens :thumb:

Also experimenting using the spent grain from this brew for a gallon of wine.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=555068#post555068

I'm not worrying about any numbers for now, I'm just doing a few 5L test batches to get a handle on things and try different things out, but I think the efficiency was ok and it's got a nice thick snotty krausen on top now and bubbling away nicely :thumb:

Two weeks on and my wheat beer was at 1010 for the last two days and nice and clear so I bottled it today, I added 40g of sugar water to a clean DJ to prime and then siphoned into 500ml PET's, it has a lovely taste and I'm really looking forward to it.:thumb:

I did another brew on Monday (AG#4), this time I used slightly more wheat and mashed at a little higher temp to see what difference it will make.

512g Maris Otter = 37.6%
256g Irish Pilsner = 18.8%
594g Unmalted wheat = 43.6%
75 min mash @ 69°C
60 min boil
3g First Gold @ 60 mins
5g First Gold @ 15 mins
ended up with approx 8L with OG of 1042

It is bubbling away quite nicely today

Two weeks on and my wheat beer was at 1010 for the last two days and nice and clear so I bottled it today, I added 40g of sugar water to a clean DJ to prime and then siphoned into 500ml PET's, it has a lovely taste and I'm really looking forward to it.:thumb:

I did another brew on Monday (AG#4), this time I used slightly more wheat and mashed at a little higher temp to see what difference it will make.

512g Maris Otter = 37.6%
256g Irish Pilsner = 18.8%
594g Unmalted wheat = 43.6%
75 min mash @ 69°C
60 min boil
3g First Gold @ 60 mins
5g First Gold @ 15 mins
ended up with approx 8L with OG of 1042

It is bubbling away quite nicely today

i baught some from aldi last week and it was nice.. made me think about making some.. let us know how it goes

Will do :thumb:

I'm experimenting with small batches and slowly pushing up the unmalted wheat content to see what it does.

I bottled this second attempt at using some unmalted wheat yesterday, it wasn't quite as clear as the first attempt in the same time frame, whether this is down to the higher percentage of wheat in this one or not I don't know.

But it looked, smelled and tasted fine and we will see in a few weeks how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back