Chocolate Porter : brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholx

Reaction score
Chocolate Porter altered Robust Porter

Recipe Specs----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.850
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056(°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 44.1 (EBC): 86.9
Bitterness (IBU): 26.5 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill----------------
4.400 kg Pale 2-Row (75.21%)
0.650 kg Caramel / Crystal 120L (11.11%)
0.500 kg Black Patent (8.55%)
0.200 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (3.42%)
0.100 kg Chocolate (1.71%)

Hop Bill----------------
40.0 g East Kent Goldings Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
30.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill----------------
250.0 g Cocoa Powder @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Notes----------------
og 1.060 80% efficency
mash 66c
1 hour boil
75c mash out for 10 mins
yeast pitched at 24c

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

put this on saturday morning.. an attempt at something different
nice weather and a problem free brew day.. reached an og of 1.060 so getting more efficient with my grains, although i think i have made a schoolboy error with the cocoa powder, i was roughly following a recipe/method from brewers friend, and added the chocolate powder at the end of the boil

checked the fv last night when i got home... a little worse for wear and could see that fermention had started well and a krousen formed, however i noticed this morning that there was no krousen but the wort was fermenting furiosly.. very much like you see with wine.

a bit concerned i did a bit of reading online and it seems that this is because i did not put the powder in at the start of the boil so the oils from the cocoa powder would stop a krousen forming and also may cause me problems with head retention.

has anybody had any experience with this?.. theres lots of speciality malts and i added carapils to improve the head retention so iam hoping once cleared ill get away with it.. does anybody have any thoughts on this?

also ive used my new inkbird as a mash thermometer in my las 2 brews and found it very usefull.. i can just set the strike temp to 70c on the inkbird and wander off to measure grains ect without worrying about the boiler as itl cut off at 70c, it makes things less frantic as its another element of the brew day i can do and forget about.. useful tool.. also the 2nd element i fitted to the boiler comes into its own.. very quick to get to mash out temp and loads faster to get to a boil, at that point i turn one of the elements off, i am sure it puts alot less stress on the elements too as there not running for as long

DSC_0556.jpg
DSC_0557.jpg
DSC_0559.jpg

No experience with cocoa but like the idea of using the inkbird to get the right temperature. What version do you have?

its the 308s with the 12" sensor.. i just drop it directly in the water or mash and stir to get an even temp.. i also set a min temp while mashing incase the temp drops but iam not sure how good an idea that is as i presume itl create hot spots at the elements..

Notes----------------
og 1.060 80% efficency
mash 66c
1 hour boil
75c mash out for 10 mins
yeast pitched at 24c

What temp did you maintain for fermentation? I'll be getting this brewed as soon as I get a chance (thanks for the warning about the cocoa, too!)

I used cocoa powder in a similar recipe a couple of months ago with the cocoa powder in at the start and it still killed the krausen. Got good head and lacing in the finished beer though.

What temp did you maintain for fermentation? I'll be getting this brewed as soon as I get a chance (thanks for the warning about the cocoa, too!)

its just sat at room temp.. i dont have a brew fridge.. the temp is between 18-20 atm.. depending on the time of day..

this is the fermentaion... it looks like hot chocolate! :lol:

DSC_0560 1.jpg

its just sat at room temp.. i dont have a brew fridge.. the temp is between 18-20 atm.. depending on the time of day..

this is the fermentaion... it looks like hot chocolate! :lol:

Excellent! I also rely on my family's ability to live in a house below 20° to create a 4 bedroom brew fridge for me. :lol:

Latest posts

Back