Does adding preservatives prevent acetify

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozebandit

Reaction score
I added sodium metabisulphate and potassium sorbate to my wine after fermentation had ceased, it is currently in the fining stage at the minute but I am concerned that the wine is going to turn to vinegar, the plastic demijohn i am using isn't completely airtight according to the place i got it from and i am worried about to much oxygen getting in. Is wine that has been treated with these preservatives safe from turning into vinegar despite the possibility of a small amount of oxygen getting in?

I have two FV's one is airtight the other isn't, i haven't had a problem with wines made in either but if you are worried follow CB's instructions. :thumb:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, i have bottled the wine now and there was no issue with the wine in regards to turning into vinegar, i tried it and if anything its is lacking in acidity, it taste a bit watery and flat. When I took the F.G of the wine it was 993 and the O.G was about 1.090 so alcohol content isn't an issue. I think the citric acid in the lemon juice was used up during fermentation hence the flat watery taste. I ended up adding citric acid to the wine before bottling is it ok to add acid like this at the end of fermentation? The taste seemed a lot better after adding the acid. Sorry for all the questions everyone I am relatively new at homebrewing.

Thanks for the reply tony, i will look into getting some tartaric acid, it seems a lot more flexible when it comes to wine making.

Latest posts

Back