NEW DRY YEAST - Danstar ESB Dry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought everyone was suggesting that this was the Fuller's strain. That is reputed for dropping like a stone.

Medium attenuation and light fruity esters with poor floculation sounds just like Windsor to me. Why would the go for such a similar yeast?

I thought everyone was suggesting that this was the Fuller's strain. That is reputed for dropping like a stone.

Medium attenuation and light fruity esters with poor floculation sounds just like Windsor to me. Why would the go for such a similar yeast?

From the HBT thread and those who have used the ESB strain it seems it just implies it's the fullers strain as the characteristics dont seem to be the same as the real thing

Been drinking my first few pints brewed with this yeast. I have used WLP002 in probably around 80% of my beers since whitelabs first came to the UK. Only ever use dried yeast as an emergence back up so this sounded ideal for me. So I could make a decent comparison I brewed a tried and tested recipe, Dennis King's Galaxy Delight as sold by the maltmiller http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=852 probably my favorite recipe especially with WLP002.
First off it would not drop below 1018 no matter what I did, not a massive problem as it's going in a barrel. Then clarity, 002 drops like a stone, this one still hazy even added gelatin for the first time in many years. Finally taste, as a beer I know well I could not believe how different it tasted. The unique Galaxy taste is so muted and seems void of any malt character.
Conclusion, I know the drying process for any dried yeast will strip the yeast of some of it's character but if this is the Fullers yeast it has changed it beyond recognition. Won't use this one again.

Well this all sounds very disappointing. May end up using the S04 I have for the ESB (unless I can get a vial of something before I brew) and save this for a mild.

Currently got this in a porter. Big krausen didn't last too long...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well this all sounds very disappointing. May end up using the S04 I have for the ESB (unless I can get a vial of something before I brew) and save this for a mild.

Must admit this yeast reminded me of S04, bland.

I brewed with this on Thursday. The action was all done by Friday evening. Amazing, and no problem with finishing high - went from 1052 to 1012. Can't wait to sample it.... in about 3 weeks.

Just found this yeast last week, thought it would be a good one. Pitched it in a brew yesterday, and it is working away; but am now a little nervous after reading the comments above. Hope it is not like Windsor, I find that does not clear as well as say Nottingham.

Have done an Old Peculiar type clone with it. Finished at 1.018 which is a fair bit higher that i wanted and expected!.

I seem to have done very well, hitting a FG of 1012. I should add that I mashed low (64C) and chucked in 400g sugar to help with the anticipated low attenuation. Still be a few weeks before I get to sample it...

Brewed yesterday, yeast had taken off by this morning. Mashed a bit lower to help attenuation. Meant to include Golden Syrup to help it dry out a bit, but forgot, still hoping it doesn't finish too high.

All being well, might pitch a milk stout onto the yeast cake.

Just checked on the porter that has been in the Fv for 2 weeks - 1.018. That figure seems to keep popping up doesn't it? In the shed now to crash until bottling.

Will check the gravity on a Best Bitter with the same yeast through the week....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I bottled mine after nine days. Way too soon I know, but had to do it for reasons I won't go into. But I can tell from experience that this is going to take a long time to clear - I just know. From what I've seen so far, I actually think this stuff is Windsor:whistle:.

Down to 1.016 from 1.050 in about 52 hours - good going.

Given it a swirl in an attempt (more hope than expectation) of it dropping another 2+ points. May add the golden syrup I forgot in the boil to encourage it along if no movement in next few days.

Just checked my beer that has been fermenting for 11 days. SG 1.018
As someone else said - that number keeps popping up. I was hoping it would go lower than that. I'll leave it for a while longer and check again.

Does mash temp affect the level of maltotriose? Had a search but can't seem to find anything.

I unintentionally mashed at 64, and at last check I have was down to 1.014 so perhaps there is a link?

Does mash temp affect the level of maltotriose? Had a search but can't seem to find anything.

I unintentionally mashed at 64, and at last check I have was down to 1.014 so perhaps there is a link?

Mashing at that low a temperature should give you a greater proportion of fermentable sugars, though you might need a longer mash to get them.

Packaged my beer today, gravity unchanged from a week ago 1.018 (ABV 4.8%). Tasted fine though and is quite clear.

Kegged ESB on Friday, had finished at 1.014 which I'm ok with, although it means the beer is at the very bottom of the ABV range for the style.

Brewed a milk stout on Saturday and used some slurry in that. Took a while to start, but was fermenting hard by Sunday. Down from 1.060 to 1.030 by yesterday (including lactose addition) so not quite a fierce a ferment as the first time, hoping it finishes closer to 1.020.

Latest posts

Back