Micro pubs.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldoray

Reaction score
I don't know about your areas but Medway have had a new Micro pub open and another one due too open soon. Making a total of seven in all.
Great places for a pint from local brewers. No TV's, Jukeboxes and in one pub no mobile phone conversations inside.

I love them.:thumb:.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of micro pubs (sadly as far as I'm aware there's none near me). If I was every going to be self employed/run a business I'd run a micro pub. I think owning/running a brew-micro pub would be my idea of heaven. I've no idea hw much beer you'd need to produce to run a micro pub but It cant be that much can it?

My favorite one has four to five beers on the go plus the same for ciders.
Not forgetting a few different wines and spirits.

I wished we had one in the large village I live in. We did have a pub but it closed down a couple of years ago, although admittedly it wasn't all that nice .
We do have a small number of shops, any one of which would make an ideal micro pub so I can always live in hope :thumb:

I wished we had one in the large village I live in. We did have a pub but it closed down a couple of years ago, although admittedly it wasn't all that nice .
We do have a small number of shops, any one of which would make an ideal micro pub so I can always live in hope :thumb:

A new career beckoning Terry?

We have one that opened near me last year its doing quite well. I go in a few times a week. He has a stillage for 8 casks always has 4 on the go and all from local breweries. He also has bottles for taking out or you can buy them and drink in if there's nothing on tap you fancy. Plus wine and one cider. He rotates the beers so there its not the same. Once on the map it seems people will travel to try new micro pubs as there are often people who have come to give it a try. It might help that the local train station has a real ale pub which is quite well known and on a localish ale trail.

If there is a demand and you can find the right premises I think the start up costs could be reasonable if you go for a rustic look. I love it compared to a traditional pub and the lack of cheap kegged lager keeps out the binge drinking trouble makers.

Just like it sounds, a very small pub. As I uderstand it, a lease is taken on an unusual premises such as a shop and the space is turned into a pub

A micropub according to the Micropub Association is defined as follows: "A micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers, mainly serves cask ales, promotes conversation, shuns all forms of electronic entertainment and dabbles in traditional pub snacks".

A micropub according to the Micropub Association is defined as follows: "A micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers, mainly serves cask ales, promotes conversation, shuns all forms of electronic entertainment and dabbles in traditional pub snacks".

When I read about micro pubs a few years ago the actuall logistics of it mentioned using small premises such as shops (I imagine due to the costs involved). The rest of the stuff you mention from the Micropub association is more of an ethos. I dont think there's anything to stop someone opening a micro pub which has electronic entertaiment and cheap kegged lager. But then that would be just like opening a pub like the thousands of others that have electronic entertainment and cheap kegged lager and so defeating the point perhaps?

[30 years ago] Used to drink in a country farm house, the old fellow converted his living room and served beer through a hatch from his kitchen. Nice big room with a fire and room for about a dozen or so people, it was always full.

We used to travel miles to get there because amongst others he used to keep Owd Roger, can't imagine what a brewery the size of Marstons must have thought delivering casks into someone's kitchen.

[30 years ago] Used to drink in a country farm house, the old fellow converted his living room and served beer through a hatch from his kitchen. Nice big room with a fire and room for about a dozen or so people, it was always full.

We used to travel miles to get there because amongst others he used to keep Owd Roger, can't imagine what a brewery the size of Marstons must have thought delivering casks into someone's kitchen.

Lovely idea. You'd never get away with doing that nowadays without the appropriate liscences etc. Unless of course you didnt charge for the beer (It's funny that isn't it. I can give away as much beer as I like, but the second I start charging for it, I need all kinds of legal bit's of paper even though I'm doing nothing essentially different)

Latest posts

Back