cooling Wort ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that if you don't cool the wort down quick enough it can take on a caramel type taste. Not sure if it's true.
But any how. I brewed in Sunday and it took me an age to cook the wort. 23Ltrs and I was using copper coil chiller.
The trouble is once the wort around the chiller has cooled
That's it until you stir it ..
So I'm wondering has anyone added a device to keep the wort circulating. I'm thinking of a small stirrer on a small electric motor.or one of those solar electric pumps.
What do you guys think?

Just keep gently moving the chiller around unless you're looking to take your setup to another level ie a HERMS.
Shouldn't take you anymore than 20 to 25 mins with the coil as I can cool in the sink between 30 and 40 minutes.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Agreed, just keep gently stirring with a spoon or paddle. You need to keep the hot wort circulating past the coil to get it to work effectively. Also make sure you are putting through enough water. Unfortunately brewing is a fairly water intensive process.

An alternative is not to chill it. Obviously, no-chill is a lot simpler. I've never tried chilling, so I can't offer any advice based upon real-life experience of beer character with/without chilling.
However, I do know that it is possible to make first-rate beer without chilling.

Do you have a source for this stated caramalisation of the wort if you dont chill quickly I havent come across that before. I no chill and have never particularly notice any extra caramalisation

Do you have a source for this stated caramalisation of the wort if you dont chill quickly I havent come across that before. I no chill and have never particularly notice any extra caramalisation

I read it some where. Wish i had saved it now. The only reason I mentioned it was I have had a caramel type taste.but assumed I over boiled my wort and it was too condensed.

An alternative is not to chill it. Obviously, no-chill is a lot simpler. I've never tried chilling, so I can't offer any advice based upon real-life experience of beer character with/without chilling.
However, I do know that it is possible to make first-rate beer without chilling.

I do no chill for anything with only 1 hop addition. Now using a 32l SS pot. (Needs 2 people to pour out though). Been lazy and instead of putting my wort chiller in @15mins i clean it ,sanitize and add 20mins after flameout. Chills the wort in a few minutes down to 80c for a hopstand. Then i leave for an hour, chill to around 40c and leave overnight to cool. Pour through a sieve the next day. My chiller is not very good though and it needs to be modded.

caramalisation with a slow chill is a myth imho

Loads of brewers no-chill which involves pasturising a jerrycan with off the boil wort and sealing it and letting the brew chill down to ambient in its own time with no chilling input.

Ive read nothing about caramalisation of the wort with nochill brewing?

I read it some where. Wish i had saved it now. The only reason I mentioned it was I have had a caramel type taste.but assumed I over boiled my wort and it was too condensed.
I've read through loads of forums for many different things and one thing you will come across is that alot of people tell you something which is fantastic to a point.
I'm a practical person (PC correct) and by that I mean that although I have read something doesn't mean I'll take it as gospel.
What I will do is try it out or try something else and go with my gut feeling because I would be inquisitive and would like to know for myself.
The is the reason why I will at times try quite alot of variations just to see if I can get the same result by taking a different root.
I drank a Guinness Rye Ale on Saturday night which I have never tasted before and immediately reminded me on my brew I made using Rowan Berry and wow what a shock that was and I never give Guinness the recipe.
As @MyQul mentioned is there possibly some addition that may have a contribution towards this.🍺 getting drunk lol

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

How do you prevent infections with no-chill?
I've thought about trying it, but scared of that specific range. While the wort is cooling from 26 to 17 wild yeast can go on a rampage.
Just a normal lid? Some special tight seal?
I'm using keggle.

How do you prevent infections with no-chill?
I've thought about trying it, but scared of that specific range. While the wort is cooling from 26 to 17 wild yeast can go on a rampage.
Just a normal lid? Some special tight seal?
I'm using keggle.

I just put cling film on an old FV that's held with a big elastic band. The seal is very tight as the cling film bows out with all the steam then a while later goes convex as the wort cools and contracts. I've never had a infection due to no chill

the Aussie method is to use a 'cube' (squarish plastic jerrycan) and to clean etc as usual.

Then instead of chilling you drain the off the boil wort straight into the cube HOT!

the lid goes on pronto and the cube is 'rolled' to bring hot scorching wort into contact with every surface of the cubes inside.

This pasturises all the surfaces with the heat of the wort.

while hot and giving off steam the cube will balloon out, and when its cool this steam will have condensed sucking back in and deforming the cube SO a full cube with nominal headspace is preferable to one with a large headroom. Also dont bother making volume markers on the cube as one blow/suck use will change the shape and therefore volume markings..

Fil, I tried to quote you but tapatalk is full of... lets call it nonsense.

845242e1eac2642f323d9b2e45e7b7f5.jpg

This is what I use to ferment. Now my thinking is: fill it to the brim(or close), tightly seal, and drop in swimming pool.

Also square. Is this what you referred to?

Just to add, my swimming pool is pretty cold. Hottest i've seen it was 26 degrees mid January. It averages on 22-23C in summer. I have a lot of trees around my swimming pool.

Does any one know if these plastic cubes/jerrycans contains bpa? If so, hot wort WILL give you boobs!!

The thought of humping 23 litres of boiling hot wort around just doesn't thrill me. :nono: :nono: :nono:

It took me about two hours to cut and solder together this chiller.

It's made specifically to fit my boiler and it leaves plenty of room in the centre to use a paddle and swirl the wort around.

It works fine in this cold weather and I have the option of adding another couple of "loops" if the performance demands improvement in the summer.

Also, it took me less than an hour to punch out the hole for the tap on the boiler because needing to get help to pour stuff out of a boiler just leaves me cold as well. :nono: :nono:

Enjoy. :thumb:

New Cooler 1.jpg

New Cooler 2.jpg

New Boiler Tap.jpg

Latest posts

Back