A Tale Of Two WOWs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Put together a couple of 1 gallon batches tonight:

#1 - Grape, Apple & Raspberry

2L Grape, Apple & Raspberry Juice (Morrisons) (40% WGJ, 40% Apple, 10% RGJ, 10% Raspberry puree - 130g sugar per litre)
940g Sugar
Three bag mug of tea.
1 tsp Pectolase.
1 tsp Citric Acid
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Glycerin
1 tsp YSWYC

#2 - Grape, Apple & Mango

1L Apple & Mango Juice (Morrisons) (88% Apple, 12% Mango puree - 107g sugar per litre)
1L WGJ (Waitrose) (145g sugar per litre)
940g Sugar
Three bag mug of tea.
1 tsp Pectolase.
1 tsp Citric Acid
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Glycerin
1 tsp YSWYC

Exciting this lark, the other two I've made (see sig.) are nearly clear after adding finings two days ago so will hopefully be able to bottle and taste those tomorrow. :thumb:

I love the flavour combinations within reach easily when using supermarket juice.
And at 1g batches you can get loads on the go !

Like the sound of the first one !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the flavour combinations within reach easily when using supermarket juice.
And at 1g batches you can get loads on the go !

Like the sound of the first one !

Good isn't it. I was eyeing up some Apple, Rhubarb and Ginger juice in the chilled section at Morrisons that I'd like to try making a turbo cider out of.

Good isn't it. I was eyeing up some Apple, Rhubarb and Ginger juice in the chilled section at Morrisons that I'd like to try making a turbo cider out of.

I was in Leicester city centre today , don't get to go there very often . Walked past 3-4 polish/European shops - well I had to go in.

I was like a kid in a sweet shop looking at the flavour combination of syrups (only problem was no English on the labels) so whilst I could see rose, pomegranate and much much more I didn't have a scooby if they contained nasties !

May try some in experimental batches !!

Bottled these last night about a week after stabilising, fining, and back sweetening with around 300 ml of apple juice then topped up with water.

Must have been quite a lot of yeast in suspension as there was quite a bit on the bottom of the DJ plus a bit had coated the sides as it had dropped out which unfortunately seemed to get sucked up when I transferred it to the bottles. Might have benefited from being racked again but I'm too lazy to do that. Might have to decant when serving!

Had a decent sized tumbler of each left after filling six bottles so it was rude not to have a taste. The WGJ, apple and mango was my favourite, felt quite syrupy in the mouth, slightly sweet edge but not overly so and a nice tropical note on the finish. The grape, apple and raspberry was also pleasant but wasn't really getting much by way of raspberry. It might develop though or maybe my palate was affected by the first one.

The stuff is also rocket fuel, I'm quite a seasoned drinker but I was really noticing the effects after my two samples :lol:

Will leave for a few weeks now. What next, decisions, decisions?

hahaha. Did you take readings?

I did but I've never been one for writing these things down, just like to know I'm in the right ballpark. Think the OG was around 1.085 maybe even 1.090, it had stopped below 0.950 which as far as I can work out puts it around 17 - 19% ABV! It was then diluted by about half a litre.

So yeah, no wonder really! Can Young's Super Wine Yeast handle that sort of alcohol level? I guess my results answer my own question and says yes it can!

Treat these with a bit of respect methinks :lol:

Scratch that, the FG would have been 0.995 not 0.95 as I suggested! That would make it around 14% ABV max before dilution.

Maybe I becoming a bit of a lightweight :lol:

Back