One for our Scottish members.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If a second independence referendum is held will you vote the same way you did last time?

Nicola Sturgeon 'not bluffing' on second independence referendum
Speaking to Andrew Marr the Scottish First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has said the country is not bluffing about holding a second independence referendum.
Ms Sturgeon said that in the case of a so-called hard Brexit "it would be right for Scotland to have the opportunity to decide."
The full interview with Nicola Sturgeon will be broadcast on The Andrew Marr Show on BBC One from 09:00 and later on the BBC iPlayer.

Probably, unless there was a lot of definite answers.

I still don't understand why we would want to be independent of the rest of the UK but still in the EU.

I believe the people of Scotland (and I'm half Scottish) are being seriously let down by Sturgeon and the SNP. It is independence at the expense of all else with them and they've taken their eye off the day-to-day running of the country.

Following the 'once in a generation' independence referendum, they have spoken of nothing else but a second referendum - and Brexit has given them new reason to push for one. I also despise the anti-English rhetoric that comes from many SNP MPs, which verges on racism at times. The irony is, having lived in England all my life, the English generally like the Scots - the ill feeling all seems to flow in one direction.

I really couldn't stand Alex Salmond but I think I'm starting to dislike Sturgeon even more.

Focus on bettering the lives of the good people of Scotland, not on your own political ambitions.

Without trying to offend any SNP voters, I would think that from an economic perspective Scotland would be really, really worse off independent. It took the ROI half a century and the complete backing of the EEC/EC/EU to get itself on its feet. Even now the ROI can only prosper within a strongly capitalist economy, which makes a mockery of the nationalist politicians who are generally left to far left.

If independence was to happen then Scotland would become extremely capitalist to have an economy that survives the upset. This would diminish social mobility and could well mean that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

However, Scottish independence will be like Brexit, it is about hearts and minds, logic might well be down the list of priorities.

Only my thoughts on this.

It was noted in yesterdays papers that as well as the North Sea oil running out the cost for decommissioning the rigs may run into £20-30 billions. So if they do choose to go they may land themselves with empty wells and a large clean up bill.

I was out for a pint yesterday with 2 mates and we happened to have a discussion about a future referendum here in scotland and also put loads of other things in the world right as probably most of us do with a few pints of happy water inside us,anyway in the previous referendum for independence 2 of us voted for leaving the uk and one stay in the uk....the reason two of us voted for independence is because we thought as an independent scotland we may manage to get out of europe and have ...independence!
Anyway now we are meant to be leaving europe both the independence votes would now go the other way to remain in the union along with a lot of other people here in scotland we have no time for sturgeon and her pro europe agenda and i personally think another referendum would be an embarassment to sturgeon and the snp cheers lagerlad

I was out for a pint yesterday with 2 mates and we happened to have a discussion about a future referendum here in scotland and also put loads of other things in the world right as probably most of us do with a few pints of happy water inside us,anyway in the previous referendum for independence 2 of us voted for leaving the uk and one stay in the uk....the reason two of us voted for independence is because we thought as an independent scotland we may manage to get out of europe and have ...independence!
Anyway now we are meant to be leaving europe both the independence votes would now go the other way to remain in the union along with a lot of other people here in scotland we have no time for sturgeon and her pro europe agenda and i personally think another referendum would be an embarassment to sturgeon and the snp cheers lagerlad

I would tend to agree with you there. If she does call a ref and the vote actually swings further to the union then it could make her position untenable and actually undermine the prospect of independence.

Would I vote the same way now? I honestly don't know. If and when the question arises for real, then I will know, because circumstances will be a lot clearer than they are now.
Last time I voted for independence. My gut instinct would be to do so again, because the UK seems to be heading in both a political and social direction that I want no part of. However, the economic implications could override this. I doubt it, but I really don't know at this stage of the debacle. :-(

The title says - One for our Scottish members.

I have removed several post from non Scottish members as i would rather do that than lock yet another thread.

I voted Yes and would again, i would trust the wee Krankie over any Tory,ive actually hated (maybe too strong a word) them all from Thatcher to Major and especially Cameron.
Out of touch snobs,London is all that exists in their bubble.I would even take Jeremy Corbyn off your hands rather than May.
Even though i would be bricking it,the oil is running dry,petrol prices are rising, the NHS is a mess and the SNP are self destructing, i would still take my chances.

Ehhhh,what am i saying, i dont even like politics........

Who started this 😉

I'll vote out again because I'm Russ Abbot or some other racial stereotype.

I voted Yes and would again, i would trust the wee Krankie over any Tory,ive actually hated (maybe too strong a word) them all from Thatcher to Major and especially Cameron.
Out of touch snobs,London is all that exists in their bubble.I would even take Jeremy Corbyn off your hands rather than May.
Even though i would be bricking it,the oil is running dry,petrol prices are rising, the NHS is a mess and the SNP are self destructing, i would still take my chances.

Ehhhh,what am i saying, i dont even like politics........

Who started this
To me it's pretty obvious that when people continually vote one way and get a government that they didn't vote for, who then systematically dismantles your country's industry and treats you with contempt, that many people would look for a chance to elect a government they actually voted for (apparently known as having a chip on your shoulder). I don't give a hoot about oil, there's many countries that don't have oil and they somehow manage to survive. This fearmongering **** is a joke; the Scots have a long history of being trailblazers and/or the best of the best in many fields and I find it repugnant to suggest that we'd be the first country in history to not be able to run itself.

If you dont want to get burned dont start the fire ????????:nono:

Which part of the thread title and my later post about the thread being for our Scottish members to post their views did you not get?

Rule one of the forum rules - 1. Please post in a mature, sensible and respectful manner.

Not only are you not Scottish but you were disrespectful in several posts in this thread if you had followed my earlier request we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back