AG49 Vermont IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're a clever boy Steve, that's an absolute cracker, right up my street. Smell is fantastic, taste is divine and lingers on the palette.

I agree that the bitterness is a bit harsher than I'd expect from the style (based on reading only I must add, I've never tried a commercial example). The body isn't quite as I'd expect from so many oats but still very good. If I'm being super critical I'd say I'd carbonate it a little bit lower but that's probably personal taste. If I'd brewed this I'd be over the moon!

Thanks for the kind words Mick, I appreciate the review :hat:
As for the body, I don't know if you saw this Brulosophy exbeeriment, but it appears that oats don't really have as much of an impact as we're led to believe.

Great thread to read through. This will probably be my next style to homebrew now. How did the changes you made to the v2 Competition brew work out? - Did you drop the Magnum bittering addition all together? Did you change out the Caramunich III malt to lighten the colour? Did you get hold of some Vermont ale yeast?...

Looking at other NE IPA recipes, would you add flaked or torrified wheat to this at all?

Cheers!

Great thread to read through. This will probably be my next style to homebrew now. How did the changes you made to the v2 Competition brew work out? - Did you drop the Magnum bittering addition all together? Did you change out the Caramunich III malt to lighten the colour? Did you get hold of some Vermont ale yeast?...

Looking at other NE IPA recipes, would you add flaked or torrified wheat to this at all?

Cheers!
Tbh what was originally going to be v2 actually ended up being more of a double IPA for various reasons, rather than a proper NEIPA. But when I do revisit this I will drop the 60min addition, mash a touch higher, swap the caramunich 3 for a lighter crystal, use either the Vermont strain or Wyeast 1318. So pretty much everything you said :D

If you wanted to used flaked or torrified wheat then go for it, personally I prefer the flavour of malted wheat which is why I used it.

To kettle fine or not? It appears counter-intuative in the pursuit of haze, but have been reading that many brewers still use Whirlfloc in this style. Thoughts?

Anyhow, giving this recipe ago today in a small test batch.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated FG: 1.016 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.0 IBUs (possibly less as will steep at 80C not the 90C
beersmith calculates with).
Sulphate/Chloride Ratio: 0.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Mash: 60 Minutes at 68C
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

2.319 kg Maris Otter Blend (6.0 EBC) 79.0 %
0.440 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) 15.0 %
0.147 kg Cara-Pils (Weyermans) (2.5 EBC) 5.0 %
0.029 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (120.0 EBC) 1.0 %

0.25 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

12.99 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [8.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.0 IBUs
9.08 g Citra [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.0 IBUs
8.26 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.0 IBUs

11.97 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 7.0 IBUs
7.61 g Citra [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 7.0 IBUs
7.61 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 7.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) fermented at 20C

15.00 g Citra [14.00 %] - Dry Hop during fermentation
15.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %]
15.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [8.90 %]

15.00 g Citra [14.00 %] - Dry Hop post fermentation
15.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %]
15.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [8.90 %]

Looks like a good recipe :thumb:
There is a lot of debate about what actually causes the haze, but it doesn't seem to be from suspended proteins, but rather some sort of yeast/hop interaction, which means that whirlfloc can still be used and it'll still have the desired murky look.

Thanks for the review @Leon103 glad you liked it :hat:

The bitterness has smoothed out a bit but it's still way too high for the style. Tbh this has turned out probably more like a typical west coast style IPA. For the next incarnation of this I'm going to drop the predicted IBUs to around 25 to try to get more of a juicy flavour.
Either of your two yeasts will work brilliantly in this, if I were you I'd be tempted to split the batch and use both. The 644 might attenuate slightly higher but the difference probably won't be too noticeable. Let us know how you get on.
Well @strangesteve a month after starting this brew it's int bottle just carbonated so had to try
After trial jar testers which i was not too happy with it's turned out ok
At 7.4% it packs quite a punch as you can imagine but to say it's got 250g of hops in it lacks some what on hop flavour ,maybe it's with treating the water with only calcium chloride that's dulled the hops as for the mango it's definitely there in flavor but not much on the aroma, mouth feel is pretty slick and I'm happy with the colour.
Ibu's at 23.8 very little bitternes
Strange-steve if you would like a bottle sending please pm me your address as I wouldn't mind some honest feed back/improvement pointers.
There's a v2 already planned with a lower abv and different water treatment plan
Cheers clarke
e6f316f2a18b9c572bcbe000da16ac12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Well @strangesteve a month after starting this brew it's int bottle just carbonated so had to try
After trial jar testers which i was not too happy with it's turned out ok
At 7.4% it packs quite a punch as you can imagine but to say it's got 250g of hops in it lacks some what on hop flavour ,maybe it's with treating the water with only calcium chloride that's dulled the hops as for the mango it's definitely there in flavor but not much on the aroma, mouth feel is pretty slick and I'm happy with the colour.
Ibu's at 23.8 very little bitternes
Strange-steve if you would like a bottle sending please pm me your address as I wouldn't mind some honest feed back/improvement pointers.
There's a v2 already planned with a lower abv and different water treatment plan
Cheers clarke

:hmm:
I wonder why it's lacking in hop flavour. I had one of mine last night and it still had a fair hop punch after 2 months. Can you post your recipe?

:hmm:
I wonder why it's lacking in hop flavour. I had one of mine last night and it still had a fair hop punch after 2 months. Can you post your recipe?
The malt bill was different but the hops were identical to your recipe except a reduction on the bittering I also steeped the hops at 80°c for 20 mins for the first time as I thought this should improve the hop flavour/aroma.
Did I mention that I racked onto 2kg of mango in the secondary
Did a week in primary a week in secondary then racked of mango into a 3rd FV for another week to finish off
Could the abv of 7.4 %effect hoppyness?

At what point did you add the dry hops?
I don't think the abv will reduce the hoppyness, I did a 8.2% version and it had loads of hop flavour.
Hard to say what the issue is but I'd love to taste one to see if I have any insight. I'll send you something in return. PM sent.

I don't think the abv will reduce the hoppyness, I did a 8.2% version and it had loads of hop flavour.
Hard to say what the issue is but I'd love to taste one to see if I have any insight. I'll send you something in return. PM sent.
Dry hopped 4 days before bottling
Will send u one out but don't feel like you have to send one in return your opinion is much appreciated 👍

🍺 On its way 👍

🍺 On its way 👍

Cool, I'll be happy to give you an opinion. I'll definitely send you something, it's always worthwhile getting another brewers feedback on your beers.

Cool, I'll be happy to give you an opinion. I'll definitely send you something, it's always worthwhile getting another brewers feedback on your beers.
Cheers pal will look forward to it 🍺👍

Cheers pal will look forward to it 🍺👍

Received today mate, I'll hopefully get a chance to taste it over the weekend :thumb:
What would you like in return, I have a DIPA, biere de garde, belgian quadruple, or brett saison?

Received today mate, I'll hopefully get a chance to taste it over the weekend :thumb:
What would you like in return, I have a DIPA, biere de garde, belgian quadruple, or brett saison?
Glad it got there in one piece👍
I would b pleased to receive any of them pal but given a choice I'd pick either the Dipa or the sasion so which ever of them would be great
Thanks clarke

Tbh what was originally going to be v2 actually ended up being more of a double IPA for various reasons, rather than a proper NEIPA. But when I do revisit this I will drop the 60min addition, mash a touch higher, swap the caramunich 3 for a lighter crystal, use either the Vermont strain or Wyeast 1318. So pretty much everything you said :D

If you wanted to used flaked or torrified wheat then go for it, personally I prefer the flavour of malted wheat which is why I used it.

So I came back and gave this one a brew - just a 1 gallon batch...

50% Pale
15% Flaked Oats
15% Wheat
10% Flaked Wheat
6% CaraAmber
4% Torrified Wheat

Using your hop profile from Page 1 - Columbus, Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe.

Safale S-04 English Ale yeast

OG1.047
FG1.012

4.7% ABV

f01398b6308eb073c818ef8ac0dffcbe_640x640.jpg

It tastes amazing! Colour is between a deep murky yellow and a hazy bright orange. This photo looks a bit brighter than actual due the sun pouring through my window. Aroma is of juicy tropical fruit throughout. Taste is slightly wheaty and more bitter than the style should be, but full of those tropical citrus fruity hops!

I wildly missed my OG target (1.060), partly due to poor 1 gallon BIAB efficiency, but also just due to having a rushed and stressful double brew day that day.
It’s come out slightly under carbonated with a head of loose bubbles that doesn't last very long unless the glass is swirled. I might have screwed up my bottle priming volumes.
It’s also slightly bitterer than planned, probably down to the extended boil time it takes me to chill in an ice bath.

But I’m thinking if I get over those points it will make a pretty tasty re-brew! :thumb:

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask here. What kind of carbonation levels should a NEIPA be? Tempted to do one instead of a Witbier in my next round of brews.

Latest posts

Back