What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
done a black rock pale today and did a little mini mash with cara pale barley as I did it before and it came out as a golden ale and very drinkable,upped the cara steep and boil to 350 gram this time.all about experimenting:lol:

Coopers Irish Stout, brewed to 21 litres, with 1.5kg of LME and 0.5kg of soft brown sugar. I thought I had black treacle in the cupboard. Didn't. :doh:

OG of 1058

Coopers Irish Stout, brewed to 21 litres, with 1.5kg of LME and 0.5kg of soft brown sugar. I thought I had black treacle in the cupboard. Didn't. :doh:

OG of 1058

Don't worry about the absence of treacle, it would have been an "acquired" taste at best.

Before doing AG, I used to like best a Coopers Stout plus Wilko Stout and 1kg of sugar done to 26L (6 gallons). Yours sounds very similar, so I know it is going to be great.:thumb:

Today's beer was another simple one, 25L with re-used US 05:

Grain Bill
5.66kg Maris Otter

Hops:
60m Admiral 20g
15m EKG 21g
0m EKG 9g Bobek 17g

This used up the fag end of the Styrian Goldings (Bobek)
A sort of Winter Hill take on Exmoor Gold

Today I brewed an orange ale. Orange colour, orangey hops and orange peel. All went well but it was a right mare transferring from kettle to FV. I normally put a hop sock on a racking cane and siphon but the thing kept getting stuck, clogged with the hop pellet debris. In the end I gave up with the siphon and poured through a sieve but had to keep de-clogging the sieve too. Really ought to dig out the hop spider again to avoid such gubbins but I worry I dont get the best out of the hops when I use it

Saturday was my first 40 pint bottling session - quite a chew on, because I hadn't really upgraded my operation from the previous 20 pint jobs.

Sunday I did another 40 pints.

I realised it wasn't realistic to ask SWMBO to hold the syphon in place. So I made a bracket. Did the job perfectly.

:smile:

IMAG4118.jpg

Perhaps I should explain.

The "bracket" is a slat from an old garden chair, drilled, and wrapped in clingfilm and tinfoil (so that spiders and shrapnel don't enter the wort). I added a couple of L angles to stabilise against the sides of the bucket, and then clipped their ears to the side of the barrel, via the pegs.

It was a faultless demonstration of practical mingebaggery, as it cost me nought a single penny.

Knocked up yesterday evening what was going to be a biab American Brown Ale but ended up as an extract brew just for quickness.Stuck pretty much to the same malts bar the extracts used.Used up 1/2 pack of the crossmyloof US Pale yeast and it has got away really quickly:smile:

I realised it wasn't realistic to ask SWMBO to hold the syphon in place. So I made a bracket. Did the job perfectly.

:smile:

I have personal experience of that failed promise from the "love, honour and obey" vow! :doh:

It may be better (and a lot easier to sanitise) if you lashed out on one of these ...

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/red-bucket-clip-for-syphons-and-tube

... and a set of these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M74BJW3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also find that using a length of 10mm copper tubing at the business end of the syphon makes for a much easier life. i.e. No stirring up of the trub and definitely no need to have SWMBO tell me she's "busy"! :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I should explain.

The "bracket" is a slat from an old garden chair, drilled, and wrapped in clingfilm and tinfoil (so that spiders and shrapnel don't enter the wort). I added a couple of L angles to stabilise against the sides of the bucket, and then clipped their ears to the side of the barrel, via the pegs.

It was a faultless demonstration of practical mingebaggery, as it cost me nought a single penny.

You do know that you can buy little clips that do the same job.

I have personal experience of that failed promise from the "love, honour and obey" vow! :doh:

It may be better (and a lot easier to sanitise) if you lashed out on one of these ...

I also find that using a length of 10mm copper tubing at the business end of the syphon makes for a much easier life. i.e. No stirring up of the trub and definitely no need to have SWMBO tell me she's "busy"! :whistle:

Never seen those filters before. Just ordered 5. Cheers

Brewed a stout today and got second runnings as well.
18 litres on first @20 brix preboil gravity and 8 litres on the second @5 brix before adding 1kg golden granulated sugar.
Made the mistake of forgetting to put oats in grain bill and both are now in cubes no chill.
Shall check SG when cooled then dilute to a sessionable ABV.
Used my mash tun today for the first time and checked my 99p thermometer from China against my inkbird and only 0.1 degrees difference 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Brewed a stout today and got second runnings as well.
18 litres on first @20 brix preboil gravity and 8 litres on the second @5 brix before adding 1kg golden granulated sugar.
Made the mistake of forgetting to put oats in grain bill and both are now in cubes no chill.
Shall check SG when cooled then dilute to a sessionable ABV.
Used my mash tun today for the first time and checked my 99p thermometer from China against my inkbird and only 0.1 degrees difference 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

I did a stout too, Made to 20ltr used 1.8kg dark liquid malt from a Shamrock Irish Velvet stout kit, 1kg of extra dark spray malt. 200g of extra dark belgian candi rock, 200g Simpsons and 150g double roasted malt DRM steeped in 4 pints boiling water. will add 150g of lactose after fermention when putting into second FV aiming for approx 5.10 ABV :thumb:

Knocked up yesterday evening what was going to be a biab American Brown Ale but ended up as an extract brew just for quickness.Stuck pretty much to the same malts bar the extracts used.Used up 1/2 pack of the crossmyloof US Pale yeast and it has got away really quickly:smile:
Really sold on the 'Crossmyloof' yeasts.This is going bonkers today:mrgreen:
Think i will be making them my go to yeasts for the majority of my brews.

Sheer extravagance!

:thumb:

I did a stout too, Made to 20ltr used 1.8kg dark liquid malt from a Shamrock Irish Velvet stout kit, 1kg of extra dark spray malt. 200g of extra dark belgian candi rock, 200g Simpsons and 150g double roasted malt DRM steeped in 4 pints boiling water. will add 150g of lactose after fermention when putting into second FV aiming for approx 5.10 ABV :thumb:
Stout
4.5kg pale malt
1kg wheat malt
250g chocolate malt
250g roasted barley
Yeast shall be S0 4 when chilled for both.

Took a notion whilst the brewing equipment was out and decided for another brew which is in the mash tun as I speak.

Lucky 7
1kg Maris otter
1kg Pale malt
1kg Irish whiskey malt
1kg Wheat malt
1kg Whites speedicook oats
500g Chateau ruby
500g Best Cara red

Strike water temp 74c
Mash temp 68c for 1 hour

Hops Ella
Schedule 60min boil

60min-20g
30min-10g
10min-10g
5min-10g

Yeast will be Pale Ale yeast from crossmyloof.

Just checked and only lost 0.6 degrees over an hour mash
e3bcfd4662e0ca765cb52cab3493e5cc.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21

The old saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Well when a Sainsbury's order goes wrong and you end up with 3kg of bananas (instead of 3 bananas).......make a wheat beer?

500g of dry wheat extract, 900g of banana puree, EKG to 6 IBU and WB06 yeast in a 4.5l demijohn. Who the heck knows what will happen (I know bananas have a high lipid content which is supposed to be terrible for brewing) but if it all goes down the drain I still had a fun evening.

Edit - my wife thinks it looks grim and it's hard to disagree.....

IMG_0080.jpg

Christ who the hell buys 3 kg of bananas? Must be the monkeys picking the order....I'd have been on the phone and made them take them back....

Latest posts

Back