What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh it was my fault. There's a little button where you choose if you're buying items or kg and I set it wrong. I also bought 2kg of fennel but I didn't fancy making beer from that so they took it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No brew today but I did do a big tidy up of all my beer and brewing kit. Freed up storage space turns into goodwill towards future brewdays pretty easily!

I'm brewing my own recipe, I call it Daze End, it turns out a dark ale, slight chocolate taste with lime in the background, I love it ! For a 70L batch:

9 Kilo Lager Malt
2.4 Kilo Maris Otter Malt
1.8 Kilo Amber Malt
0.25 Kilo Crystal Malt
0.20 Kilo Chocolate Malt

All Columbus Hops @ 25g = 60 mins, 40g @ 15 mins and 20g @ flame out, Dry hopped with 56g. GV12 yeast.

Mash for 90 mins and boil for 90 mins, should work out around 5.6% (or more).

Is it ready to drink yet ?

Stout
4.5kg pale malt
1kg wheat malt
250g chocolate malt
250g roasted barley
Yeast shall be S0 4 when chilled for both.

Took a notion whilst the brewing equipment was out and decided for another brew which is in the mash tun as I speak.

Lucky 7
1kg Maris otter
1kg Pale malt
1kg Irish whiskey malt
1kg Wheat malt
1kg Whites speedicook oats
500g Chateau ruby
500g Best Cara red

Strike water temp 74c
Mash temp 68c for 1 hour

Hops Ella
Schedule 60min boil

60min-20g
30min-10g
10min-10g
5min-10g

Yeast will be Pale Ale yeast from crossmyloof.

Just checked and only lost 0.6 degrees over an hour mash
e3bcfd4662e0ca765cb52cab3493e5cc.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21

That lucky 7 seems interesting, keep us updated on how it turns out !!!

That lucky 7 seems interesting, keep us updated on how it turns out !!!

Currently still in the chill cube's as I'm waiting for my fermenting trug to finish my stout I brewed the same day.
Just had Belgian yeast from crossmyloof delivered yesterday so shall be brewing one with this and the other with their pale ale yeast.Should be interesting 👍

The random extract wheat beer I made with the excess bananas from my Sainsbury's order last week has fermented out really well. If it's stable tomorrow I'll bottle it. It's, surprise surprise, like a wheat beer with extra banana aroma. My Sainsbury's app operation hasn't got any better so now I've got 3kg of pears and 1kg of ginger which I'll probably make a cider from! My wife is going to start suspecting I'm doing it on purpose.

Real brew day tonight is a proper German Weissbeer, my 10th all grain, very simple grist of 50% wheat malt and 50% German pale malt. I did a 90 minute mash instead of 60 to compensate for any potential loss of efficiency and it seems to have done the trick, waiting for it to get to the boil now. Hallertau to 8 IBU then into the no chill cube. Will pitch WB06 when ready.

Brewday today went very well (as in no cock-ups). Used Mangrove Jack M31 Belgian Tripel yeast on this recipe that I knocked up from others on the internet:

Maris Otter 5kg
Biscuit 500g
Munich 500g
Crystal light 250g
Crystal dark 250g

Admiral 13g @ 60
Northern Brewer 12g @ 15
Saaz 30g @ 5

Added 1kg of cane sugar that I had converted yesterday evening to Golden Syrup.
Stared with 200g sugar plus 50ml water and darkened this for a bit with the lemon juice left over from pancake day. Needed 2 goes as it does not work without the acid. Then added the rest of the sugar and 480ml boiling water. Got this idea off the internet as well.

OG 1.068 for 25.5L in the FV.

Session IPA with German malts (Ireks Pale, Vienna, Munich and Crystal Maple), hops (Mandarina Bavaria, Hüll Melon and Hallertau Blanc and yeast (Fermentum Old Rhine). Couldn't find any German water in Surrey, strangely.

Pitched my yeast for the brew I did last night. Hit my numbers spot on without needing to add water. My most successful brew day yet.

Made my entry for the May SMaSH comp today. Went very well. Maybe a bit too well.

Properly maxed the efficiency at nearly 85% (somehow) so ended up with a beer a tad stronger (by 6 Pts) than planned.

Will just have to see how it turns out for the comp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The old saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Well when a Sainsbury's order goes wrong and you end up with 3kg of bananas (instead of 3 bananas).......make a wheat beer?

500g of dry wheat extract, 900g of banana puree, EKG to 6 IBU and WB06 yeast in a 4.5l demijohn. Who the heck knows what will happen (I know bananas have a high lipid content which is supposed to be terrible for brewing) but if it all goes down the drain I still had a fun evening.

Edit - my wife thinks it looks grim and it's hard to disagree.....

I made banana bread when that happened, yours sounds way more fun...

Made this today along the lines of the GW recipe.

Used a John Bull kit to reduce the amount of grain needed in the GF. At 6 - 6.5kg or so, the GF is still great, if a little outside best efficiency. 8kg plus, I struggle with TBH, so it is a partial mash.
Grain Bill - 6kg Maris Otter and 220g Chocolate.

With the bittering from the kit, the hops were all EKG - 24g at first wort and 25g at 15mins.

I've had a busy afternoon. .bottled two 23 l batches then put two youngs kits back in the fvs,APA & AIPA. One of the bags had a pinhole in it and a tiny amount of the wort had leaked. . I've had the kits a few weeks so pointless complaining as I could have done it. Anyhow I boiled it in a few litres of water to be sure then chilled ..it looked and smelled fine out of the bag so not too bothered. .have to wait and see.

Decided to start a brew today, to keep the supply going .... last day off before going back to work ....

Black Rock IPA - short dated stock at a reduced price.
Added 1 Kg of Muntons Beer Kit Enhancer, water to 20 litres, and Safale S05, SG = 1.046
Only annoying thing, forgot to put enhancer in before the water so some "doughballs" developed which needeed crushing.

Anyway, this is for my KingKeg, just for everyday drinking, hope it goes down to the recommended 1.006, this would produce 5.25%

Last edited:
I've had a busy afternoon. .bottled two 23 l batches then put two youngs kits back in the fvs,APA & AIPA. One of the bags had a pinhole in it and a tiny amount of the wort had leaked. . I've had the kits a few weeks so pointless complaining as I could have done it. Anyhow I boiled it in a few litres of water to be sure then chilled ..it looked and smelled fine out of the bag so not too bothered. .have to wait and see.

Can't see this being a major issue at all. Since you boiled it through it is a minor nuisance only.

23 l batch inspired by Greg Hughes "Spring Beer" is now happy in the fermenter.

3.5kg Maris Otter, 500g Munich, 37 IBUs of Galaxy hops. Was a bit under my usual efficiency due to a bit of a sticky mash (think the malt was a bit floury?) And losing an extra half litre to the hops but still hit 77% brewhouse so all in all a good days work.

Should be a nice alternative to the southern brown ale I have going at the moment.

Real brew day tonight is a proper German Weissbeer, my 10th all grain, very simple grist of 50% wheat malt and 50% German pale malt. I did a 90 minute mash instead of 60 to compensate for any potential loss of efficiency and it seems to have done the trick, waiting for it to get to the boil now. Hallertau to 8 IBU then into the no chill cube. Will pitch WB06 when ready.

Hmm. Airlock activity on this has slowed right down, a bubble every five mins or so six days after pitching. I used one sachet of WB06 in 23l of 1.056 wort, which was deliberately somewhat low to try and get ester production and I've got that in spades, really big spice and banana on the nose, spice in particular into the taste as well. I'm really pleased with the taste of the sample. It's only at 1.018 though so some way to go I would hope. Think this will be my best brew yet. I had planned to rack 10l onto raspberries and some onto cherries but if it is going to turn out so well I might just leave it straight. Patience required here, will really try to not sample for another few days!

It's not necessarily what I am brewing today - but tomorrow I have a Adnam Ghostship extract recipe put together from reading all the bits on this site and a YouTube video! So will see how it turns out.

It's a partial mash of the caramalt and crystal with a healthy dose of LME. Cannot wait to see how this one turns out.

If anyone fancies the recipe just let me know!

Latest posts

Back