California Connoisseur rojo tinto - *6 Bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
Bought a small kit, just 6 bottles as I quite fancy trying this one.

Initial instructions told me to fill 'TO' 4.5 litres.. Now, that is JUST 6 bottles as it stands, and I'm going to have to rack twice, so how is 6 bottles even achievable? I can't see that it is.

Could be my temperature, but the drop to below 1010 took 5 days, not 8, so moved onto the next stage.. It was actually at 1002, so syphoned off the yeast into a clean DJ. Bubbling away nicely now, so hope to get it down to 0990 in another 10 days or so.

Initial taste (at 1002) is sweet obviously, and amazing.. ten times better than the beaverdale Nebbiolo at this stage..

Will update as I move on..
Al

Weird. I did the CC Pinot Noir but preferred the Beaverdale.

I get the impression that your tastings ( as do mine ) tend to be more than you think but hey, blame it on the racking as I do to the grand furer wife inspector!

Weird. I did the CC Pinot Noir but preferred the Beaverdale.

I get the impression that your tastings ( as do mine ) tend to be more than you think but hey, blame it on the racking as I do to the grand furer wife inspector!

haha you could be right!

But even amounting for no tasting, and no losses when racking, 6 bottles seems ambitious! Other cheaper kits let you top up to the neck eventually, and as @richytrue and I have discovered, is a LOT more than 4.5 litres than a Demijohn can actually hold, so allowing for losses, and a sip, you get your quota.

Don't get me wrong, the Beaverdale sounds like it has masoove potential if we can keep our grubby paws off it for 2-3 months

Had a couple of these after only a month in the bottle, and gave a couple away and it's amazing.
Easily as nice as the beaverdale Nebiolo. Not as dry, and slightly sweeter but delicious.

Only got one bottle left which is away for 2 further months.

Bought a small kit, just 6 bottles as I quite fancy trying this one.

Initial instructions told me to fill 'TO' 4.5 litres.. Now, that is JUST 6 bottles as it stands, and I'm going to have to rack twice, so how is 6 bottles even achievable? I can't see that it is.

Could be my temperature, but the drop to below 1010 took 5 days, not 8, so moved onto the next stage.. It was actually at 1002, so syphoned off the yeast into a clean DJ. Bubbling away nicely now, so hope to get it down to 0990 in another 10 days or so.

Initial taste (at 1002) is sweet obviously, and amazing.. ten times better than the beaverdale Nebbiolo at this stage..

Will update as I move on..
Al

You could add a little water and sugar to keep the ABV similar for 6 bottles, the CC Rijo tinto is a Rioja, i just finished my last bottle from a 30 bottle kit 2 weeks ago, trying a Beaverdale 30 bottle Rioja this time but would certainly do the CC one again.

You could add a little water and sugar to keep the ABV similar for 6 bottles, the CC Rijo tinto is a Rioja, i just finished my last bottle from a 30 bottle kit 2 weeks ago, trying a Beaverdale 30 bottle Rioja this time but would certainly do the CC one again.

my local HBS inform me that beaverdale and Cal Con buy their juice concentrate from the same supplier/vineyard so hopefully it's just as good. She's been the main brew shop up here for c30 years, and I trust what she says.

How long ago did you make the CC, if you've just finished the last one?

I'm not finding a Beaverdale Nebiolo any better at 2 months, than 1 month - still amazing.

I'm going to try a £50 kit next, to see if it's any different (Vinexpert), although my Beaverdale Shiraz 30 bottler hasn't even been racked/cleared yet and it finished days ago

Al

It would have been made in October/November 2015, i was thinking along the lines of a same/similar supplier for wine kits as the market (globally) is very small and for more than 1 or 2 businesses positioning themselves as a supplier would be extremely limited in there market share to be worthwhile. I will probably try a Kenridge next with the 10l grape juice to see how it fairs.

It would have been made in October/November 2015, i was thinking along the lines of a same/similar supplier for wine kits as the market (globally) is very small and for more than 1 or 2 businesses positioning themselves as a supplier would be extremely limited in there market share to be worthwhile. I will probably try a Kenridge next with the 10l grape juice to see how it fairs.

Did you find it improved drastically? Even my old beaverdale brochure I came across says optimum age is 6 months.

The most notable difference was after 3 months or so, it stayed pretty much the same then. The last bottle though had certainly changed by quite a bit from where it started out at.

Latest posts

Back