AG49 Vermont IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@blawford I'd probably leave out the columbus, hallertau, nugget and mount hood, but all the rest are perfect for the style.
As for water treatment, there's no point in chasing mash pH if you don't know alkalinity, but you could add a small amount of calcium chloride, around 0.1g/l , and treat for chlorine.

@blawford I'd probably leave out the columbus, hallertau, nugget and mount hood, but all the rest are perfect for the style.
As for water treatment, there's no point in chasing mash pH if you don't know alkalinity, but you could add a small amount of calcium chloride, around 0.1g/l , and treat for chlorine.

Thanks for the feedback Steve, I will go for that on the water treatment. I have a alkalinity test kit coming from Amazon today based on your water treatment post, so will see whether it comes before I start.

That sounds very interesting, I'd love to try a kveik yeast, thanks!

I am trying to get hold of some myself. Will let you have some when i do. Sounds just up my street. My NEPIA mark 2 has been a disaster. Overly bitter with a subdued hop presence. Will drink it though but next time i am going to just do a 5m and flameout.

Brewed my version yesterday, went with the following for the hops in the end, BrewersFriend reckons 30.5 IBU.

HOPS:
15 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.78
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.85
15 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.06, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.59

15 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 100 °C, IBU: 5.54
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.7, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 100 °C, IBU: 5.67
15 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.06, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 100 °C, IBU: 7.87
15 g - Ahtanum, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.4, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 100 °C, IBU: 2.22

30 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.06, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
30 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
30 g - Motueka, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7.4, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

IMG_20170617_171605.jpg

I am really excited about this one, the trial jar tasted great, already very fruity and complex and right now it smells fantastic within a 2m radius of the fermenter, even with the lid completely sealed and wrapped in a wet towel! I won't be getting the 18c I hoped given the forecast isn't going to dip below 26 in the next week...

I now have a bit of a dilemma, I was planning for this to be the first beer that I keg but I am unlikely to have my kegerator up and running by the time this could go in, usually I wouldn't worry about leaving it longer than usual but I don't want to lose the aroma from the dry hopping.

So, do I wait until I am closer to being ready to keg before I dry hop? Or I could possibly dry hop in the keg? I actually have the kegs already but no Co2 regulator, so if I was to put it in the keg I wouldn't be able to get the oxygen out.

I am trying to get hold of some myself. Will let you have some when i do. Sounds just up my street. My NEPIA mark 2 has been a disaster. Overly bitter with a subdued hop presence. Will drink it though but next time i am going to just do a 5m and flameout.

I'm going for the Yeast Bay Sigmund's 'Voss Kveik' as my local HBS has some. If it ferments as fast as I understand it does I could have it bottled by the weekend especially in this hot weather. I believe this could be a good yeast for summer brewing due to it's high temperature tolerance, indeed preference for high temp.

I'm going for the Yeast Bay Sigmund's 'Voss Kveik' as my local HBS has some. If it ferments as fast as I understand it does I could have it bottled by the weekend especially in this hot weather. I believe this could be a good yeast for summer brewing due to it's high temperature tolerance, indeed preference for high temp.

Apparently its a single strain and not quite the same. I read they can ferment up to 38c which is mad. Once i get some happy to share it.

Excellent, I'm always interested in trying new yeast.
A proper NEIPA seems to be proving rather elusive for most of us, my two attempts haven't been right either, I'm hoping v3 is the one. I'm planning on hopping just like you said, 5 mins, flameout and dry hop only.

Excellent, I'm always interested in trying new yeast.
A proper NEIPA seems to be proving rather elusive for most of us, my two attempts haven't been right either, I'm hoping v3 is the one. I'm planning on hopping just like you said, 5 mins, flameout and dry hop only.

That is what I did. I can't wait till it's ready.

Has anybody tried using lactose in this style to try and get the silky mouthfeel? Or would that leave too much sweetness? I'm going to try to do one very soon, just picked up a vial of yeast bay Vermont yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back