What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a day late posting this, but yesterday included a lot of firsts for me.

My first AG brew, first use of all of the kit (was even a new FV). The first test of my DIY chiller... you get the picture.....

The recipe was a simple bitter from Geterbrewed and it went pretty well really! I was a few points down on the OG, but (touch wood) I could still end up with a 4% ish beer at the end of it - so I'm pretty happy at this stage :)

I took some pics that I hope won't bore everyone, but I'm still buzzing :D

An NE IPA on the go.
312c4e6ef1a84a45d12070ac737ed7fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

First double brew day today, started at four this afternoon and just have about 40 mins of the last brew to go:thumb:

First off a funky blackberry rye beer.
Marris Otter
Rye
Crystal
Chocolate malt
ESK - 27 ibu's
I'll pitch some second generation wilko yeast tomorrow. Wait five days, rack into a secondary and add brett brux.
Then when I get back from my hols in four weeks go blackberry picking, hoping for about two and a half kilo, add that then leave another two months to bottle..

Brew number two is a stove top nine litre beetroot and horseradish saison for the forum comp:-?
pilsner
two packs of cooked beetroot
an inch of horseradish
Bramling cross and target - 25ibu's
Second generation MJ saison yeast to add in the morning..

My last remaining kit that was silling on the shelf. A Muntons Winter Warmer 36 pint. Decided to use the miserly 6grm kit yeast, since I didn't have much else available. Hope it doesn't stick at 1.020 :-?

I'm a day late posting this, but yesterday included a lot of firsts for me.

My first AG brew, first use of all of the kit (was even a new FV). The first test of my DIY chiller... you get the picture.....

The recipe was a simple bitter from Geterbrewed and it went pretty well really! I was a few points down on the OG, but (touch wood) I could still end up with a 4% ish beer at the end of it - so I'm pretty happy at this stage :)

I took some pics that I hope won't bore everyone, but I'm still buzzing :D

Great thread!
Plenty of pics.
No wonder your buzzing!!
I still get exited! Sad but true!!
Bri

Today I brewed a Bombay white IPA, wanted to brew the Jaipur but could not find a recipe.
Water treatment 1 Campden tablet in 24 litres of water stood overnight,7 grams of sulphate 3 grams calcium chloride 4 ml lactic acid, dough into the 24 litres, 6 kg of MO, 200gram German Vienna, 90 minute mash at 66 degrees C,mash out and a 3 litre sparge. Lost 5 litres to grain absorption added another 3 litres to kettle 75 minute boil added bittering hops after hot break and added flavouring hops at 45 mins.
Now I left the usual modus operandi as I do usually no chill I have left the wort in the kettle overnight the aroma hops which is a substantial amount should have been added at flame out, but tomorrow I will boil a pot of water and add the aroma hops after taking the water off the boil. Let stand for about 40 mins and cool down, add to the fermenter with the wort and pitch yeast. To be continued.

What is known as ,'no sparge,' to compensate one has to add a little extra grain for loss of efficiency. Not something that would be done on darker beers like stout etc. If there is an esier way to do something that is the way I want to go, the extra grain I used today for instance was 500 gram of MO and about 40 gram of Vienna, I would also add that I used the Ace which recirculates throughout the mash so, with the efficiency that I achieved I still overshot the preboil SG by a couple of points.

Been waiting 12 days now for my new 7Kw gas ring!

The Seller says "It's on its way!" and the Carrier says "We are waiting for the parcel." :doh:

Today will therefor be a day for checking the FG and (hopefully) syphoning off and carbing the two SMASH brews I put on a fortnight ago.

It's frustrating when a new toy fails to arrive as deferred gratification just isn't in my genes! :doh:

Today I brewed a Passion Fruit IPA from DIY Dog.

Second time milling my own grain and what a difference it makes to efficiency. It allowed me to liquor back and get a few extra litres from my brew 👍 really glad I decided to start milling.

First time with a aerator - time will tell but it certainly created a lot of foam.

I'm brewing bugger all again due to lack of storage for the finished product. Got the stuff together for my first attempt at a sour which I'm going to put on next weekend and bottle before I go on holiday in 5 weeks, should have freed up some storage space by then.

I'm brewing bugger all again due to lack of storage for the finished product. Got the stuff together for my first attempt at a sour which I'm going to put on next weekend and bottle before I go on holiday in 5 weeks, should have freed up some storage space by then.

What kind of sour are you doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just brewed a dunkel Hefeweizen. Pretty good brew with the only issue being the drill I use to aerate the wort dying. Struggling to keep the fermenter temperature down though.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

What kind of sour are you doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be a kettle soured wheat beer, I'm going to ferment half on raspberries and half on a bit of citra hop and lemon zest. Trialling a Yakult lacto starter just now to see how it develops

Today I brewed a Bombay white IPA, wanted to brew the Jaipur but could not find a recipe.
Water treatment 1 Campden tablet in 24 litres of water stood overnight,7 grams of sulphate 3 grams calcium chloride 4 ml lactic acid, dough into the 24 litres, 6 kg of MO, 200gram German Vienna, 90 minute mash at 66 degrees C,mash out and a 3 litre sparge. Lost 5 litres to grain absorption added another 3 litres to kettle 75 minute boil added bittering hops after hot break and added flavouring hops at 45 mins.
Now I left the usual modus operandi as I do usually no chill I have left the wort in the kettle overnight the aroma hops which is a substantial amount should have been added at flame out, but tomorrow I will boil a pot of water and add the aroma hops after taking the water off the boil. Let stand for about 40 mins and cool down, add to the fermenter with the wort and pitch yeast. To be continued.
Did as described the following day let the hop mixture in the saucepan stand for 20 minutes instead of forty, pitched into the cool wort and then emptied contents into FV aerated and pitched yeast. Was fairly confident but had minor concern about leaving the wort overnight to cool in the kettle even though it was a sterile environment, but this morning woke up to a beautiful extremely white krausen.

I have 2 stouts to do next a Beamish clone and a Double stout today I will crush and cold steep the speciality grains (2 batches, one for each stout) hopefully will be doing one on Wednesday and one one Friday.

Last edited:
What is known as ,'no sparge,' to compensate one has to add a little extra grain for loss of efficiency. Not something that would be done on darker beers like stout etc. If there is an esier way to do something that is the way I want to go, the extra grain I used today for instance was 500 gram of MO and about 40 gram of Vienna, I would also add that I used the Ace which recirculates throughout the mash so, with the efficiency that I achieved I still overshot the preboil SG by a couple of points.

I assume you're talking about Full BIAB here??

Yes some do increase the grain but base malt only I assume.

I do full BIAB myself however I do not increase the base malt.. well it might be 30 grams extra say whatevers left over but not 250.. I just accept 70-75% efficiency and work on the consistency rather than a bigger number like 80+%

Latest posts

Back