The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If went from 1056 to 1012 in 16 days and was primed with 165g of dextrose. It pours ok for about a third,totally clear then the yeast just flows through. It tastes ok but needs longer,it's very malty. I might try a few in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

That seems an awful long time. The brew I put on yesterday is my new record-holder for speed, usurping the once title-holder CML Real Ale. At a steady 19C it is a constant splurge thru the vent tube with no breaks at all between the bubbles. I know it will all be over before the day is out, from an OG of 1047. I hope I don't have the same problem as you with it. I was 'umming and arring' for an hour or two whether to use a pack of Notty which has been loitering in the fridge but no I went with Plan A.

Whay sort of flavour profile can i expect from the Belgium? Will save some wort and try 5l first. Would a pale ale be suitable or do i need a low IBU style beer?
I've tried the Belgian and it's a nice subtle spicy with a slight banana aroma on the nose with slight fruit flavours which are mellow but that could also be down to the malts involved but shall definitely use it again.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I've tried the Belgian and it's a nice subtle spicy with a slight banana aroma on the nose with slight fruit flavours which are mellow but that could also be down to the malts involved but shall definitely use it again.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Cheers. Been thinking of doing a split brew and adding some steeped belgium grains to one half so will give it a go.

Just ordered my first yeast from CML as well as some hops. I usually use liquid yeast but always have some dried in the fridge. I got three of the real all, one cal common and one Belgian.

It will probably be the real ale yeast I used first. From what I've picked up it sounds like it attenuates fairly well after going off like a rocket. It favours malty flavours over hoppy. How does it flocculate/sediment? Does it stick to the bottom like Notty or more powdery like US05?

Does anyone know how many cells are in a packet of Crossmyloof US Pale yeast?

The product info just says:

[FONT=trebuchet ms, cursive, sans-serif]VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram
[/FONT]
Would be good to know roughly how many more than 5 b/g we get though

The product info just says:

[FONT=trebuchet ms, cursive, sans-serif]VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram
[/FONT]
Would be good to know roughly how many more than 5 b/g we get though
I found this info on Brewer's Friend which suggested the manufacturer's cell count estimates are probably very conservative and would imply we regularly under pitched by about 4 times, if they were true. More likely they are 2-3 times more than the stated figures.

Still slightly lower than the professional pitch rate of 0.75m cells/ml/degree platoon but clearly enough to get the job done under normal circumstances.

Just ordered my first yeast from CML as well as some hops. I usually use liquid yeast but always have some dried in the fridge. I got three of the real all, one cal common and one Belgian.

It will probably be the real ale yeast I used first. From what I've picked up it sounds like it attenuates fairly well after going off like a rocket. It favours malty flavours over hoppy. How does it flocculate/sediment? Does it stick to the bottom like Notty or more powdery like US05?

I've only used the Real Ale yeast once but iirc it very flocculant. It's also VERY malty

Recieved my assorted yeast's this morning. Got some Californian Common to try out.
Sent an extract recipe for it with the packets,might try it out or adapt it for a partial mash brew.:thumb:

Lille Saison yeast's on it's way apparently from CML. And maybe a bohemian lager, Steven said. I wonder how it's differ from the Belgian yeast? :S

Would the ale yeast be suitable as a sub for wilko gervin?

Yes and no (Helpful as ever, me :mrgreen:) Depends what you want it for. There not an exact sub for each other. The CML ale is loads more malty than the gervin ad the gervin is very clean for an ale yeast, but they both can be used for a bitter for example, they'll just have different flavour profiles

Back