The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beercat...
Confused a bit here...yeah not difficult I know! What makes your recipe a cali common besides the yeast? Mine was from the Greg Hughes book and was pale, Vienna, crystal and choc malts...which I thought gave the huge malty taste...or is it the yeast contributing too?

Cheers

Clint

Beercat...
Confused a bit here...yeah not difficult I know! What makes your recipe a cali common besides the yeast? Mine was from the Greg Hughes book and was pale, Vienna, crystal and choc malts...which I thought gave the huge malty taste...or is it the yeast contributing too?

Cheers

Clint

Lol, no problem am like that most of the time. I have only made a Cali Common once before, the same one from the GH book and i couldnt drink it. Not really sure what went wrong (probably a bad fermentation causing off flavours, hard to tell). I think you are correct about the extra malts that are normally used but i wanted to make as light a lager type beer as possible which would also be dry. I think the yeast is contributing to the maltiness but again hard for me to tell. Going to try a liquid yeast next so i can compare.

Has anyone tried the barley wine yeast yet? I just bottled somewhich had been in the DJ conditioning for 3 months. Lovely and clear, sample tasted promising. OG was 1075 finished at 1022 ABV 7%. I expected it to be sweet and undrinkable but i think i can drink these. I went for 50IBU but dont seem to notice much bitterness. Will try again with the pack i have left and try and get it up to 10%.

I have a pack of the barleywine yeast to try out but not done so yet. I was planning on brewing a barleywine this weekend using the Wyeast West Yorkshire yeast but might be simpler to used the dried yeast so I don't have to squeeze my stir plate and flask next to the fermenter of bitter.

What grain bill did you use BeerCat?

I'm going to give these yeasts a go for my next 3 brews. I'm doing a California Common, a Christmas Brown ale and an APA. I'll obviously use the American Pale and Cali Common yeasts, but what about the brown ale - the real ale yeast?

Wow! Got two 22.7L AIPA's 1.050 - 1.006 (6%? ish) going with 1 pack CML USPA yeast split between for first time and both are off like rockets 6hrs later. :thumb:

Luckily, this time after getting sick of cleaning fermentation locks 2/3 times I had switched to new monster 25mm blow off's in a 3l long plastic jug with starsan. Bubbles foaming every fookin where but the krausen is staying put in the FV!!!! Canna wait to try this one! 100g FF 7C's dry hop @ 1.016 next.

My yeasts arrived yesterday. I'd planned on brewing my Cali Common on Friday next week but I see the packet says "for best results Lager condition". I don't have a brew fridge or anything, so I take it I'd be better brewing my Christmas brew next week then doing my Common later in the year when the temperatures start to drop so I can condition at colder temperatures in my shed?

I done the gh cali common and used the CML yeast. It was really malty to start with and I had trouble with the yeast disturbing when pouring but everything's changed now and seems fine. I didn't lager it though.

I opened a bottle of faux Oktoberfest using CML Kolsch Yeast last night, tastes great, very clean and easy drinking with good malty flavour. Not heavy on the lager flavours, but then it wasn't lagered, actually less than 4 weeks grain to glass including bottle conditioning.
I fermented it at 14c for 5 days then 18c for 7 days.
One of my best yet!

My yeasts arrived yesterday. I'd planned on brewing my Cali Common on Friday next week but I see the packet says "for best results Lager condition". I don't have a brew fridge or anything, so I take it I'd be better brewing my Christmas brew next week then doing my Common later in the year when the temperatures start to drop so I can condition at colder temperatures in my shed?

Lagering (cold conditioning), just smooths the flavour out. You dont have to do it if you dont want to.

I made a beer with MJ CaliCommon once and put 5L in my domestic fridge for two weeks. You could tell definately tell the difference between the two beers. I dont think its absolutley necessary though

Lagering (cold conditioning), just smooths the flavour out. You dont have to do it if you dont want to.

I made a beer with MJ CaliCommon once and put 5L in my domestic fridge for two weeks. You could tell definately tell the difference between the two beers. I dont think its absolutley necessary though

Now that I know this lot has carbonated, I plan to put this batch in the fridge, as I have an empty one in the shed.

I've just put an order in for a pick and mix of 3. 1 US Pale, 1 Kolsch and 1 Cali Common. Looking forward to playing with them!

Anybody tried the Kolsch in a true lager as I'm brewing one this week and would be interested to hear from anyone that has.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

You mean a lager recipe fermented with the kolsch yeast at around 15C?

I have the a light lager/cream ale wort on the boil at the moment. I have both the CML kolsch yeast and notty. If I use notty it'll be a cream ale, if I use the kolsch yeast it'll be a pseudo lager. Havent quite decided which yet

Anybody tried the Kolsch in a true lager as I'm brewing one this week and would be interested to hear from anyone that has.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Have done two Kolsch brews,both pretty good.Simply brewed as per normal and carbonated up as normal.
As i understand it Kolsch is more a German version of our pale ales and not a lager!!!!!
Is lager not bottom fermented as against the Kolsch which is top fermented.
I did label mine up as psuedo lager though:thumb:
Just as an aside,my Ghost Ship brew this morning has gone off like a rocket with the US Pale!

Latest posts

Back