Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > HOW TO VIDEOS: Thermopot Mash Tun Conversion

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 14-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
naturals

Liked 21 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default HOW TO VIDEOS: Thermopot Mash Tun Conversion

The first (hopefully in a small series I'm going to make) of simple DIY conversions.

I'd also be really grateful for a view, comment, like or subscribe. Also suggestions for future videos always gratefully received (STC1000 wiring, fermentation fridge, etc).

I'll be adding a components list to the video over the coming days. Any more feedback on how to make the video more user friendly muchly appreciated.

People Like This 
Old 23-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
BeardedMag

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Send a message via Skype™ to BeardedMag

One of the most relaxing videos i've watched in so long! Therapy for an engineer smooth builds and that

Quality vid looking forward to watching more

Old 24-09-2017, 03:04 AM   #3
JapanBrew

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 476

I liked it. I wish I could get those insulated pots here. That would rule!!!

Old 24-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
Fil

Liked 868 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 26

congrats on a great vid and build, I found it necessary to use a belt sander to grind of the last few mm of the thru the deck fitting and the 'top' end of its receiving elbow to create a level dropping drain, and to fit the plumbing within the base cavity..

As the insulation and base depth can vary from pot to pot it might be worth including in the vid as some folk following it may get stumped when thier plumbing stands proud of the base rim.

Also you kinda skipped over the alignment of fittings when using PTFE as a seal, Stainless steel will shred the ptfe as its tightened, so if you over turn and attempt to back turn to align you stand a high probability of not maintaining a seal.

A simple trick is to mate the threaded parts dry counting the revolutions till they mesh tight call this The Count, then wrap with tape and rescrew The Count -2 or 3 turns and then align the fittings knowing you have room to tighten and maintain a good seal.

unlike brass or mild steel you cant just apply a bit more oomph or torque to SS it wont give but if you apply too much it can seal tight and be a right pita to part again.

Old 24-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
YeastFace

Liked 231 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Fantastic video. Pretty much same as my build but yours went much smoother.

Look forward to seeing more.
FVs: #1 NZ Pilsner

Kegged: #1 Session IPA (German Malts, Hops and Yeast) #2 Traditional Saison #3 Black IPA

Bottled: Mixed Culture Golden Saison (5l Batch), Sour Dark Saison (With figs and pomegranate molasses),
Bière de Garde

Planning: NE IPA, Milk Stout

Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
naturals

Liked 21 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. It wasn't intended as a 100% blow by blow account of how to make a mash tun, simply because I figured it'd be bloody boring to watch (!) and that most people who brew and are prepared to make their own gear would probably be able to figure out how much of the elbow / deck drain needs to come off on their own (plus it may differ from my own dims).

For the record - I did trim the elbow down a little but later found out I didn't actually need to (hence it not being shown in the video). The deck drain itself had something like 7mm trimmed off the thread (YMMV).