Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #41
Godsdog

Liked 718 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by napolean View Post
Just dry hopped. Total newbie. I mixed all the hop pellets (cascade and amarillo) in one muslin and weighed it down with ceramic beans. I boiled the muslin and beans to steralise. I've read a bit about getting the hops to mix and wondered about using two bags next time. Also, is it okay to put the hop pellets in when frozen?
if you can let them fly free id recommend it,in a normal bucket pellets will sink to the bottom and racking off the finished beer is quite easy wether you have a tap in the bucket or syphon off

Old 06-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #42
RichK

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This week I was going to have my first go at dry hopping. Just a 20g tea bag of fuggles into a John Bull Traditional English Ale. However, when I opened the packet, I thought they smelled was awful (so didn't in the end). Now is that normal? Is that just fuggles? (maybe not the best choice???)

Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #43
suffolkbeer

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just brewed a pale ale buttered with fuggles this morning. Smelled lovely to me when i opened the Vacpac

Old 06-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #44
Godsdog

Liked 718 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
This week I was going to have my first go at dry hopping. Just a 20g tea bag of fuggles into a John Bull Traditional English Ale. However, when I opened the packet, I thought they smelled was awful (so didn't in the end). Now is that normal? Is that just fuggles? (maybe not the best choice???)
Smell is just a small indicator of what aroma,taste you'll eventually end up with,unless you take the plunge you'll never know the full benefit of dry hopping

Old 06-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #45
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
If you think the hops are off it isn't worth the risk spoiling a brew for the sake of a few pence by going ahead and using them. Hops should smell, well, like hops.
So if really in doubt I suggest you buy some more.
Unless you have a LHBS nearby, Crossmyloof (CML) are widely used by forum members, have a good range of hops and are competitively priced.
More here
https://www.facebook.com/TheCrossmyloof/ or
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Crossmyloof...=p2047675.l256
And it will do your brew no harm whatoever by keeping it in the FV for a few days longer, provided its all sealed up, until you get more hops organised.
And Fuggles should be fine although 20g might not make much difference to your brew, 50g might be better. You could also consider EKG, although there are many more suitable hops out there.

Old 22-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #46
RichK

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

As an aside - I did end up using the fuggles. I did a "light" dry hop & just left them in for a day. Have just cracked open the first taster & it's turned out really well Next time, I'll probably dry hop a bit longer (but for a first attempt, I decided that underdoing it was better than overdoing it).