Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale Review

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #231
reddibaggie

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I honestly think the kit manufacturers add the hops to disguise the homebrew taste and it works to great affect. All kits that add hops are superb nowadays and even Woodfordes are getting in on the act again happy days. I have a Grainfather now but still make kits as they are quick and easy, and when they taste as great, all the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #232
Aleik

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've seen a few people dance about with the amount of time in the FV, often well over the 10 days stated. Are you just waiting for a steady FG, or is it a general rule that you give it a few days' grace to be sure the beer will mature and clear completely? Nothing to be lost and lots to be gained etc? Sorry, I'm a rookie.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #233
JHart96

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed one of these on the 28th April and still have it hanging around in a plastic pressure barrel. It went through a stage of tasting really great but now it has a "homebrewy" twang. I also found it to be quite soapy in flavour and high in bitterness. On the plus side though, the beer smells pretty good and has cleared up really well, it's a shame it isn't as drinkable as I would've liked.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #234
pms67

Liked 825 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

I found a bottle of this last night, not too bad but still same lingering taste as the Cwtch , clear enough
Attached Thumbnails
0672C687-017C-44A9-839A-B5323E747901.jpg  

Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #235
Aleik

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleik View Post
I've seen a few people dance about with the amount of time in the FV, often well over the 10 days stated. Are you just waiting for a steady FG, or is it a general rule that you give it a few days' grace to be sure the beer will mature and clear completely? Nothing to be lost and lots to be gained etc? Sorry, I'm a rookie.
Anyone able to field this one? Just want to make sure I'm hitting all the marks. As far as I'm aware I've not made any errors on this brew yet, would love it to be as good as possible

Old 07-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #236
RichK

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Aleik - I'm relatively new but have quickly adopted two weeks as pretty standard time in the FV. I tend to take a FG reading & if that's around expected then get on & bottle. Instructions often have a typical FG or I tend to think of 1.010 as being "about right." I'm mainly checking that it hasn't stuck at the "dreaded" 1.020 especially if using Muntons undersized yeast. The alternative is to take a reading, wait & couple of days & take another. If still going down, then repeat. If steady then bottle. Even if doing that, I'd consider two weeks to be starting point.

For example - my current brew has now been on 10 days. Reading is around 1.011 so I'm looking to bottle on Saturday (I've just done the dry hop so took a reading while it was open anyway). I'll take another reading Saturday before bottling but I don't expect a significant change.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #237
Aleik

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks so much, this clears a lot up. A few pals are coming over and I'm glad I postponed them a week. I'll use all the extra time. Cheers!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #238
terrym

Liked 1607 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
An extended time in the FV ensures, in order
- the primary has finished
- the yeast 'cleans up after itself' (apparently), and the unwanted byproducts it initially created are removed
- the yeast drops and the beer increasingly clears (which means less carry over at packaging)
I find about 16 days minimum suits me for most beers, although some leave it longer.
People Like This 
Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #239
Aleik

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
An extended time in the FV ensures, in order
- the primary has finished
- the yeast 'cleans up after itself' (apparently), and the unwanted byproducts it initially created are removed
- the yeast drops and the beer increasingly clears (which means less carry over at packaging)
I find about 16 days minimum suits me for most beers, although some leave it longer.
Thanks a lot. I'm sure I could have asked this elsewhere now I know it's kind of unilaterally applied. Wonder why most instructions keep brew times shorter...maybe the least time needed to create a "passable" beer

Old 08-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #240
terrym

Liked 1607 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Wonder why most instructions keep brew times shorter...maybe the least time needed to create a "passable" beer
Most kit instructions are far too optimistic about brew timings. I think the idea is for suppliers to try to sell their product to the unsuspecting on the basis that 'real' beer can be produced in a matter of two or three weeks or so from opening the kit package to drinking it. Experienced home brewers know otherwise, whether by learning from their own experience or by listening to the advice of others