Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Degassing wine the quick and easy way.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 19-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #61
Tonibee

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Tea View Post
Could you give us the kit name as you usually degas before adding the finings the reason being the CO2 bubbles can hold the sediment and stop it clearing properly i have also never heard of instructions telling you to rack from a 23 litre bucket into 5 demijohns.

It's the Wilko medium dry white. The instructions say:
"...Once fermentation is complete add the wine stabiliser followed by finings A. Stir, then leave to stand for one hour. Then add finings B, stir gently, move to cool location and leave to clear. This will take up to 7 days. When the wine is crystal clear, syphon it directly from the fermenter into a secondary fermenter, stir well to remove unwanted CO2. Then syphon into bottles..."
Magnum Med. Dry White Wine
Solomon Grundy Gold Merlot

Old 19-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #62
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 4487

That is strange all the kits i have made (including Wilko ones) have said to degas before adding finings, below is part of the instructions for a Wilko kit i reviewed a couple of years ago, obviously follow the instructions for the kit you have.

Quote:
You start this kit with only 1.8 litres of cold water, you then add the ingredients sachets and 450g of sugar, on day three you are advised to top up to 4.5 litres, i did this and unlike the Black Cherry it did not flow out of the airlock the next day.

When fermentation has finished you add a sachet of flavouring and swirl the DJ.

24 hours later you degas add finings and stabiliser and wait another week before bottling.
Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 19-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #63
Vinotinto

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I agree Chippy, with my limited knowledge.
If not previously racked then I would have thought the process would have been, rack, stabiliser / degas, then fine.

Tags
co2 removal, degas wine, degassing, degassing wand, degassing wine, home made degassing wand, how to degas wine, removing co2 from wine, wine whip