Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Black Malt, how much is too much?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 23-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
jeg3

Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
I dumped too much in but after two months in the bottle it's mellowing out. By new year I think this will be a lot more enjoyable.
Did this with roasted barley. Time cured it. Anyone else used too much but eventually the beer came good?
I did a stout a couple of years ago and the first runnings were like molasses. It had way to much roasted barley, black malt and too much oats in it and tasted so licorice that it took about four months to condition. It ended up more like an imperial porter (if such a style exists)

Old 23-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
BeerisGOD

Liked 255 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbat View Post
How much was too much (on both)? Always good to know our limits.
Ok if I can remember I used 100g on a pimped up at peters ruby and this took over five months to mellow. Came out a gorgeous pint in end. The batch size was 20litres.
The more recent one was a porter with 127g of black patent. This is the one I reckon will be ok by new year, be about four months by then. This was an 19 litre batch.

I will be keeping these two malts to around 70 g in future obviously depending on the batch size. Hope this guideline helps

Old 24-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
BeerCat

Liked 686 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 966

Most have used is 5%. Roast barley is about 15%. If you don't like the roastiness try cold steeping. It works really well.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel