The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grrrr.... You know that 1.013? Yeah, that was it, it literally went no lower... All it's done since is to clean up a bit more...:doh: So nope, I am not impressed with the Saison De Lille at all. Not going to waste MJ yeast though, beer tastes good as is so it's getting bottled soon.

Everybody who has tasted a sample of the beer has really liked it though, even though it's warm and flat! So will 100% be making the recipe up again, might become my go to brew, especially in the summer months. Just not with CML's uninspiring Saison De Lazy yeast.... :lol:

Just a quick report on the cml yeasts that I've used so far:

Kolsch: I used this to ferment a Wilkos cerveza kit. Fermented well but had a slight medicinal smell at bottling. I used Kohatu as a dry hop which didn't work well with the kit. However this is crystal clear and the medicinal smell has conditioned out.

US pale: Used this in an out of date Wilkos golden ale kit dry hopped with 100g of Azacca. Been bottled for 2 weeks. Fermented well but takes an age to clear in the bottle and hasn't packed solid yet. Pours cloudy but tastes clean with fruity hops. I think this will be good in a month or so if it packs at the bottom of the bottle.

Belgian: Used half a pack in a Brewferm Christmas ale. Been fermenting at low temps for 10 days as heating only on in evenings and has gone from 1.056 to 1.014. Crystal clear in the fv. Strong phenol smell and taste from a couple of days ago has reduced a lot. I will bottle this to open next Christmas at the earliest but tastes promising.

US pale: Used this in an out of date Wilkos golden ale kit dry hopped with 100g of Azacca. Been bottled for 2 weeks. Fermented well but takes an age to clear in the bottle and hasn't packed solid yet. Pours cloudy but tastes clean with fruity hops. I think this will be good in a month or so if it packs at the bottom of the bottle.

My us pales have all cleared within 4-5 days in the bottle and pour clear too.

And mine. In fact, CML yeasts consistently clear faster than any other I've used.

Pretty sure it's the kit. I used the US Pale yeast for the same kit, dry hopped with Falconer's Flight, Citra and Amarillo. Bottled in October and still pours with a haze. Tastes amazing though, so who cares? I also used the US Pale yeast in a mosaic SMSH and it was bright going into the bottles, no haze at all just lovely gold/amber coloured beer.

Oh, and finally used the Kirstallweizen yeast for a wheat beer. Not as insanely vigorous as their real ale yeast, but on a par with other yeasts I've used so far. Pitched on 4/12 it looks like it's nearly done, bubbling slowed right down. Proof of the pudding though will come when it's properly finished and I check the FG.

I've found the CML real ale yeast really vigorous, fermenting quickly even in a garage where the brew temp at one point dropped down to 17 degrees for a bit. Its cleared in the barrel in 2 weeks, but initially has a really strong, almost sour, yeast taste going on. This has now almost totally abated, so quite impressed. Hides the hops a bit, but does allow the malt to shine through. Unfortunately, the brew I've used it on is a bit bland and *meh*, but that's a different story.

I've found the CML real ale yeast really vigorous, fermenting quickly even in a garage where the brew temp at one point dropped down to 17 degrees for a bit. Its cleared in the barrel in 2 weeks, but initially has a really strong, almost sour, yeast taste going on. This has now almost totally abated, so quite impressed. Hides the hops a bit, but does allow the malt to shine through. Unfortunately, the brew I've used it on is a bit bland and *meh*, but that's a different story.

I agree about the sharp taste! My brews still have it but hopefully it will disappear. Very homebrew twang-like at the minute

I'm using CML in my next two brews. Haven't used it before. Hope this home brew twang is just green beer, or possibly a kit

....in fact mine have been very much the opposite. Had a notoriously fussy beer drinking mate round the other night to which I offered a pint of kegged gh summer ale made with CML real ale yeast....the response was "that" look and the slow nod of the head....you just know you've cracked it when that happens......

Just done an 80 IBU Amarillo/Cascade IPA and no problem with muted hops. Brewed 14th Nov. Almost clear despite a large dry hop and will be gone soon. Such a reliable yeast always gets to 1010/1008.
The Kolsch yeast is also excellent, performs equally as wlp0029 so far in my tests. Expect 2 leave it to condition for a few months for best results especially if using lots of hops. I have a feeling it also flocs better

So since there is currently no CML lager yeast, which CML yeast would you use if you wanted to brew a lager at 12/13*C, and is one packet enough if you are brewing 20 ish litres?
Or would you just use one of their yeasts and ferment at ale temperatures?
Or would you look elsewhere for a 'proper' lager yeast ?

I have fermented at 14c using 2 packs of kolsch so it works but i use lager yeast for lower temps as i like to experiment. Price wise though 2 packs of that fermented cold will do you proud. Hd the US pale ferment at 16c so that would work lower too.

So since there is currently no CML lager yeast, which CML yeast would you use if you wanted to brew a lager at 12/13*C, and is one packet enough if you are brewing 20 ish litres?
Or would you just use one of their yeasts and ferment at ale temperatures?
Or would you look elsewhere for a 'proper' lager yeast ?

Use the CML kolsh yeasts and 2 use packets . I've used this yeast down to 15C. If your going to ferment at 12C/13C bring it down to that temp slowly. I've read of people using S-04 at those temps and they said the trick to not having it drop out was to bring it down to temp slowly

Mozza are you doing kits or ag or extract? None of my ag brews with CML have had any weird taste...

All Grain, with temp control. It's hard to describe but its a slightly sharp almost fruity taste. Not a bad thing but in a bitter the real ale yeast stands out quite a bit. Still quite young so hopefully will mellow out a little. In a pale or a stout I doubt you'd pick up on it lol. Like I say it's not overpowering but it's there

Latest posts

Back