Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > IainM's brew day

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 21-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #51
IainM

Liked 799 Times on 560 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhutch View Post
Chevalier is now officially on my to do list, sounds great
Do it. I'll happily swap a bottle for one of yours if you want to give it a try first though.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer
Manxnorton Likes This 
Old 27-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #52
IainM

Right, those two were bottled last night. I got 45 500ml bottles of the Saison and 34 500ml bottles of the Chevallier one. With those out the way tomorrow is going to be another double brew day. This time lagers to ferment slowly over the festive period. The Bulldog Brewer will be doing a Munich Dunkle, and I'll also do a Czech Pilsner as a stove-top maxi-BIAB.

Munich Dunkle, loosely based on a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles
25L, using Ashbeck water, 1.055-1.013.
6kg Munich malt
250g BlackPrinz
60 min Mash @ 67C
75 min boil
40g Hallertau (5%) 60 mins
10g Hallertau 20 mins
2x Mangrove Jacks M76 Bavarian Lager, though I'll probably buy another one from LHBS as this is under-pitching.

Czech Pilsner, loosely based on a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles
22L maxi-biab with 13L boil size, using Ashbeck, 1.055-1.014.
5.5kg Pilsner malt
250g carapils
90 min mash @ 64C
75min boil
70g Saaz (3% AA) 60 mins
80g Saaz 30 mins
40g Saaz 10 mins
10g Saaz dry hop
Wyeast Czech Pilsner 2L starter.

I'll set the fv to 10C and slowly ramp to 11.5C over 4 days. Then I'll be away for work for a week so I'll ramp it up to 14 when I get back for a diacetyl rest then slowly drop it down to 2C.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer
BeerCat Likes This 
Old 27-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #53
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
Right, those two were bottled last night. I got 45 500ml bottles of the Saison and 34 500ml bottles of the Chevallier one. With those out the way tomorrow is going to be another double brew day. This time lagers to ferment slowly over the festive period. The Bulldog Brewer will be doing a Munich Dunkle, and I'll also do a Czech Pilsner as a stove-top maxi-BIAB.

Munich Dunkle, loosely based on a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles
25L, using Ashbeck water, 1.055-1.013.
6kg Munich malt
250g BlackPrinz
60 min Mash @ 67C
75 min boil
40g Hallertau (5%) 60 mins
10g Hallertau 20 mins
2x Mangrove Jacks M76 Bavarian Lager, though I'll probably buy another one from LHBS as this is under-pitching.

Czech Pilsner, loosely based on a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles
22L maxi-biab with 13L boil size, using Ashbeck, 1.055-1.014.
5.5kg Pilsner malt
250g carapils
90 min mash @ 64C
75min boil
70g Saaz (3% AA) 60 mins
80g Saaz 30 mins
40g Saaz 10 mins
10g Saaz dry hop
Wyeast Czech Pilsner 2L starter.

I'll set the fv to 10C and slowly ramp to 11.5C over 4 days. Then I'll be away for work for a week so I'll ramp it up to 14 when I get back for a diacetyl rest then slowly drop it down to 2C.
If I was to be a beer nazi, maxi-Biab for a pilsner possibly wouldnt be a good idea as the concentrated wort may give you a darker colour than you would ideally want

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 27-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #54
IainM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
If I was to be a beer nazi, maxi-Biab for a pilsner possibly wouldnt be a good idea as the concentrated wort may give you a darker colour than you would ideally want
Hmmm... good point. Perhaps I should do it in the peco instead. However, last time I used it the wort kept scorching, and there is nowhere to hide that sort of flavour defect in a Pilsner. I can't really reduce the boil time, DMS and all that.

Ah, got it. As it has the longer mash schedule anyway I'll do the mash in the peco while boiling and chilling the dunkle, then I'll transfer the wort to the Bulldog Brewer and boil the Pilsner in that too. That way I can also use more strike and sparge water, increasing the efficiency so that I can do a 23L brew instead, plus the larger boil volume will help hop utilisation so that I don't have to use so much Saaz early in the boil and I end up with more than a pitiful 10g left over for a dry hop. Happy days!

Thanks MyQul, you as a beer nazi is, ermm, my favourite kind of nazi.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 27-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #55
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Ve have vays ov making you brew. ZIEG HOPS!!!

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 27-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #56
Sadfield

Liked 428 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
Ve have vays ov making you brew. ZIEG HOPS!!!
Don't forget to use a Mein Kampf-den Tablet.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 28-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #57
IainM

Well, the Dunkle is in the fv. For some reason the recirculation got stuck during the mash, even though the grain was only crushed with a 1.05mm gap. This seemed to hit my efficiency a bit, so I got 1.052 instead of 1.055, but it isn't far off. I also recirculated when cooling to get clear wort into the fv. It suck with a couple of litres left in the fv, so I only got 23L instead of 25L, but I don't mind because the wort was crystal clear, which is just as well considering that its going to be spending some time on the yeast cake. Just doing the boil for the Pilsner now.

Old 28-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #58
IainM

Just got the Pils in the fv and tidied up. I overshot this one in volume and gravity, with 23.5L of 1.060. I guess I'll just have to put us with having it stronger and more of it. I've got 30g Saaz left over and I'm umming and arring about whether or not to dry hop with it. I'd love the flavour but I don't want any hop haze.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #59
IainM

I've been slowly ramping the lagers up from 9C to 12.5C. The Dunkle has dropped to 1.012, giving 5.3% and the Pilsner to 1.004, giving 7.3%. Trial jars are good. Very clean fermentation, with the Dunkle malty and the pilsner crisp and hoppy. I'll leave them at 12.5C for another 3 weeks then cold crash, keg and lager. During that time hopefully I'll be able to set up a keezer/kegerator to serve them from.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 12-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #60
Zephyr259

Liked 91 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 135

That is a big pilsner...

The dunkel sounds tasty, which brand and cloud of Munich malt did you use? I've been curious to try a beer with entirely Munich as the Base malt.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-