Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Corny keg storage between use.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 29-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
gamekeepa

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Corny keg storage between use.

I’ve got myself a couple of corny kegs and a Cornelius chiller. My question is about storing the kegs between use. Do they need to be kept chilled for the sake of the beer or is ok that the beer just gets chilled on dispense? Or is it ok in the winter but not in the summer maybe to leave them in situ under the bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 29-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Spike101uk

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've kept an ale in my corny at room temp for a while now and havnt has any issues, as long as it's sealed and purged it should be fine for a long time

Old 29-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Leon103

Liked 820 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Surely they are fine at room temperature seeing that some people use maxi coolers etc

Old 29-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Fil

Liked 871 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 26

when keeping corny kegs off gas its sudden drops in temperature you need to worry about. If a sudden frost ocurrs for example the temp can drop to a level that allows the beer to absorb All the pressure making co2 in the small lid void to the point the pressure drops below that which makes the lid seal. unlike sankey kegs when the beer warms up with ambient temps and releases the co2 back out some corny lids will not keep the seal without pressure so the co2 vents off to the atmosphere.. ooooer!

however a pressure gauge cobbled together with a bit of gas/beerline and a corny grey disconnect makes a simple test pressure guage so if your kegs do suffer from a sudden temp drop you can check em easily.. So its not a problem as long as your on the ball

Old 29-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Alside101

Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
when keeping corny kegs off gas its sudden drops in temperature you need to worry about. If a sudden frost ocurrs for example the temp can drop to a level that allows the beer to absorb All the pressure making co2 in the small lid void to the point the pressure drops below that which makes the lid seal. unlike sankey kegs when the beer warms up with ambient temps and releases the co2 back out some corny lids will not keep the seal without pressure so the co2 vents off to the atmosphere.. ooooer!

however a pressure gauge cobbled together with a bit of gas/beerline and a corny grey disconnect makes a simple test pressure
guage so if your kegs do suffer from a sudden temp drop you can check em easily.. So its not a problem as long as your on the ball
Iv always kept mine in the shed and never had a problem with temp change. My basic use of kegs is just keep it topped up at 10 psi until it makes no noise when connecting the gas up
Spike101uk Likes This 
Old 29-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
gamekeepa

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk