Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > American 2 Row Malt

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
_jon_

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default American 2 Row Malt

So, it seems that we really struggle to get this in the UK. And a lot of the American recipes call for it..

..so I did some research and it turns out the term 2 row is just the type of grain. 2 Row as opposed to 6 Row (which is apparently just cattle feed).

The sources I've been reading state that any pale malt in the UK will be 2 Row Malt, and thus any pale malt is a suitable substitute for American 2 Row Pale.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

What do you use to substitute A-2-Row?

Old 03-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Sadfield

Liked 429 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 92

All the above is correct.

6 row is mainly used by American Lager brewers where they use high percentages of adjuncts like Corn or Rice, as it has higher enzyme content for converting starch from these unmalted grains into fermentable sugars.

Any UK pale malt will be a good substitution, with possibly the exception of Maris Otter as it has a more characterful flavour.