Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Another stuck fermentation thread

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
terrym

Liked 1601 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
Wherry yeast, you say? The elephant is in the room.

Wherry yeast?
Really?
You must be kidding me.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
johnnyboy1965

Liked 424 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A boy is given the keys to a sweet shop and told to eat everything he wants.The first thing he does, because he is shocked, is take a sharp intake of breathe. He then eats as many sweets as possible, as quickly as he can. until he is sick. He then falls asleep. When he wakes up he starts eating more sweets, until he is sick again. He again falls asleep. He will carry this on until all the sweets have gone and the shop is empty.
Does this sound familiar?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:36 PM   #13
Sadfield

Liked 427 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy1965 View Post
A boy is given the keys to a sweet shop and told to eat everything he wants.The first thing he does, because he is shocked, is take a sharp intake of breathe. He then eats as many sweets as possible, as quickly as he can. until he is sick. He then falls asleep. When he wakes up he starts eating more sweets, until he is sick again. He again falls asleep. He will carry this on until all the sweets have gone and the shop is empty.
Does this sound familiar?
No.

In this sweetshop he's eaten all the Jelly Tots and found the rest of the sweets are too big and hard for this child's mouth.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Old 02-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #14
Gunge

Liked 908 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
No.

In this sweetshop he's eaten all the Jelly Tots and found the rest of the sweets are too big and hard for this child's mouth.
But when he finds that he's lost the key and can't get out, he has to find something, anything, to break up those big,hard sweets lest he starve to death.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:47 PM   #15
Sadfield

Like what Gunge?

Quote:
Generally, when brewers experience diminished attenuation, there are two likely causes: low wort fermentability or poor yeast performance. Low fermentability can be a result of the ingredients or, for all-grain brewers, hot side processes. It could be a malt extract with a high percentage of unfermentable dextrins, or too high of a mashing temperature. Poor yeast performance is generally a result of poor yeast preparation, but it can also be due to the wort environment.
https://byo.com/body/item/1895-atten...vanced-brewing

Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
Wherry yeast?
Really?
You must be kidding me.
Wherry yeast is actually not a bad yeast, there just isn't enough of it. I didn't see a brew volume from the OP - if it was 12L or so, a packet of Wherry yeast will have been fine; if it was 23L then yep that's why you have a stuck brew. I always use my leftover Wherry yeasts in small-volume brews.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
cyderspace

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
It will, however it will be really sweet from the unfermented sugar already in it. Adding sugar to raise the ABV would be better as it would not add any further sweetness. Ideally you want to get it fermenting again before adding anything more.

What style of beer is it? What IBUs?

It's a copper colour bitter

Old 03-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #18
Ciaran12s

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I intentionally mashed my last brew high at 70c. I wanted to see if it would do anything for body and raising the FG. I'll post the results when available.

No readings taken but the airlock activity is a lot less than that of lower mash temperature brews, peaking on day 2 and falling right off after that.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #19
Sadfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran12s View Post
I intentionally mashed my last brew high at 70c. I wanted to see if it would do anything for body and raising the FG. I'll post the results when available.

No readings taken but the airlock activity is a lot less than that of lower mash temperature brews, peaking on day 2 and falling right off after that.
Ditto, I've just done a beer where I intentionally mashed at 72c, was aiming for 0.5% abv but came out at 0.6%. Came out well, but obviously a low alcohol beer and slightly thinner than a standard brew, but highlights how extreme a mash temperature it was. Look forward to seeing your results.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #20
Ciaran12s

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Ditto, I've just done a beer where I intentionally mashed at 72c, was aiming for 0.5% abv but came out at 0.6%. Came out well, but obviously a low alcohol beer and slightly thinner than a standard brew, but highlights how extreme a mash temperature it was. Look forward to seeing your results.
S**T! I'm not trying to go that low! Hoping to finish at 1.010- 1.020 max. It's an experiment though